Trusted Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

@godi  I actually have a Charles Chips tin and I store K-cups in it!  I happened to see the tin at Christmas Tree shops a while ago and it brought back fond memories so I had to have it.  The chips that were inside weren't that great, but I love the tin.  

Respected Contributor

No, we did not.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grew up out of the US and we did have a milkman who delivered dairy....milk, butter, cottage cheese...  So long ago, I can't remember the name of the company....  Smiley Happy   

Memories --  this thread got me to thinking...we used to get the milk in bottles with the cream on top...had to shake the bottle before using!!! 

We got so many food items delivered...egg man, fresh orange man, tortilla lady, milkman, man brought logs for fireplace etc.

Esteemed Contributor

We had the Fuller Brush guy too.  Also, Charles Chips. 

My Mom had 3 Charles Chip cans she used at Christmas.  They would be full of chocolate chips cookies or sand tarts.

Esteemed Contributor

We did!

I may be wrong but I think Oberweis Dairy still delivers aroung here.

Honored Contributor

Our milk and bread was delivered by bicycle.  My brother or I would ride about 7 blocks to the store and bring the groceries home in the basket mounted on the handlebars. 

Honored Contributor

No, but I would love to have one now. It would be great to have greek yogurt and maybe the occasional ice cream delivered by a professional. Eggs too. There could be a perishable staple food dude service. I'd try it. I could see a bread service too. Everything old is new again eventually, right?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Yep! We had a milkman who delivered milk in glass bottles. In winter, we sometimes had frozen milk. LOL

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I did - a smallish steel type insulated container (square to accommodate 4 bottles from qt to half gallon).

We used to get Whole Milk, Cream and sometimes Skim...but back then *late 60s; the skim seemed to be watery milk with a bluish cast to it.

I remember that being delivered, as well as Charles Chips. 

Yummmm the fresh made potato chips and delish pretzels too.

Simpler times, BETTER times. I'm glad I have those memories.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes, we had milk delivered in glass bottles  with an insulated box on our front porch. My Gdt Uncle  delivered  Strohmann bread.