Esteemed Contributor

Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

As a kid, born in 1950, we had an insulated box on the front porch. Mom put in a list of what she wanted and money and the milkman fiilled her order.

We also had a breadman, Strohman's. We would go out to the truck with money and get our bread, rolls and sometimes cupcakes.

I know these types of posts pop up from time to time but they are fun to read.

My DH grew up surrounded by dairy farms. They took a container and went directly to the source. The bulk tank next door.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

We didn't. Parents grew up with cows so they liked going to grocery store. I know. Neighbors had Jewel T - or something like that. Always thought that was cool. All we bought from sales people was Kirby vacuum cleaner and set of encyclopedias. waa waaa

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Yes. We had a milk box on the back porch. In the winter the cream on the top would freeze and come up and knock the cap of the milk.

Esteemed Contributor

No, we had a cow and later 2 goats that we milked.

When my kids were young we could get fresh, pasturized milk delivered every day.

Super Contributor

<Raises hand> We did! For some reason I want to say it was Meadow Gold Dairy, but my memory could be way off. I do remember my Mom switched to Borden's somewhere along the way. 

I can't remember if she put a note out in the metal silver-colored milk box or how ordering worked. We got glass bottles of milk with a paper lid on top. The milkman picked up the used bottles when he delivered the new milk.

We also had a bread man but really didn't get much from him. Though I do remember a "fancy" cake that I HAD to have Mom get me, then I didn't like the taste of it at all. Phew! LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

I sure do remember the milkman and that little silver box on the front portch with fresh milk in glass bottles. I grew up in a small town in Iowa - population 2,000 and sevral of the ladies in our neighborhood were terrific bakers and would sell their fresh bread and kolaches, so we didn't buy store-bought bread very often. I also remember the farmers who would come into town and sell their sweet corn in the summer - 13 ears for 50 cents. I could never understand why my mother bought from them since my grandparents also were farmers and had a big patch of sweet corn. She'd always tell me "because the farmers need our help sometimes". We ate a lot of fresh sweet corn! LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Sure did! The dull silver box was on the front porch. Sometimes the order was too large for the box. We also had a bread man, the Electrolux man and the Fuller Brush Lady. Whenever I see that medical sample box outside of doctor's office, I think there might be milk bottles in there. Hahaha!

Honored Contributor

Yes, we always had a milkman.  When my dh and I were first married and he was in school, about 1966, he WAS A MILKMAN.  He had to be at work at 4am, me at 8 am.  We had one car so that left me with an awful lot of early morning free time.  We lived way out in the boonies far from our jobs so there was no going back home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

We had a milkman. We had a standing order but sometimes Mom would leave a note to get cottage cheese. We lived in a fairly large town in the San Francisco Bay area.

My Grandfather owed a dairy in a small town about 50 miles north of us. He used to make deliveries and once in awhile my brother and I would go with him. We thought it was fun but it was early in the morning and I know I didn't want to do that everyday. Really great memories, though. This would be in the 50's and 60's.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

No, but my grandfather milked cows and sold milk to the milk company.  He would roll the metal container out to the street in a wooden wheelbarrow and they would come by and pick it up and leave an empty one.