Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

When I was really little, we had a small apartment and had a milkman who brought my family milk and cheese. It was a great service. When my parents bought their own home, we had a small tin box that was kept on our front porch. The milkman brought dairy products several times each week.

Esteemed Contributor

@willomenia   My parents insurance man came to the house too.  I remember he was always in a suit, top coat and hat in the winter.  His name was Rudy.

The paper boy always came to collect for the paper every week too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I must have been really young, because we had one but I don't remember. We lived in an apartment building, my mother God rest her soul was pretty naive. Anyway she would invite the milkman in for a cup of coffee, nothing went on it was innocent. Some of the neighbors told her it didn't look right, him coming into the apartment, my mother stopped serving him coffee.

Honored Contributor

We had the Borden’s milkman deliver milk and cottage cheese to our front porch. The cottage cheese came in opaque, glass mugs with wooden handles. We must have had 8 of them and drank iced tea from them. My grandmother left her list and cash on her kitchen table. Her milkman came around 5 am and she didn’t get up that early, so he put her things in the fridge and left her change on the table. She left the side door open for him. Can’t imagine doing that now!
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake Yes we had a milk man from Sealtest. Our Insulated box was silver, but I don't think my Mother left money in there for the milk man. I had a Jewel T man for years but quit because he would come at dinner time and that became a hassle, especially as the kids got older. And the last time he showed up he brought in cookies and the kids ate them, they thought they were free and he charged me for them. I was so upset that I quit that day. But it came in handy especially since we had only the one car. But soon after the company seem to disappear.

Respected Contributor

Yes we had a milkman and the box on front porch.  I believe our deliveries were from Hershey Dairy and I remember them having great chocolate milk.  We lived about 20 miles from Hershey PA till I was about 12.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I remember having a milkman when I lived in England in the 70s and 80s.

Honored Contributor

Yes we had a milkman. Milk was in glass bottles. Leave empty bottles and full bottles would appear. We had an egg man too. Bread man would drive a truck like a ice cream truck. Best glazed donuts ever🙂
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess I wanted to add that my Mother got cottage cheese in these milk glass bowls with tulips painted on them , so it turned out she collected 4 in 4 different colors and we would color our easter eggs in them every year. I expressed how much I love them and the memories of coloring eggs as a kid that she gave them to me to take home so no one else would grab them when we no longer would have her. So glad I have them just don't know where my things will go they are not allowed to accept things without clearing it with their wife's.Such a sad thought. Made that mistake with Christmas Ornaments the kids and I made when they were small and were thrown out when they parted ways. I cried so bad. The new generation isn't memory seekers. 

Regular Contributor

I lived in PA and we had a sliver box on the porch. I now have a home in Mi a few miles outside of Detrioit, it actual has a metal box built into the  brick that opened into the kitchen.  It has been covered over on the inside.