Respected Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I do not recall a milkman but I remember Stanley products and Fuller brush being delivered.  We lived in the delta of Mississippi in the 60's and we purchased milk at our local Sunflower grocer.

Esteemed Contributor

@chlema  I remember the monkey that begged for coins. He would put in in a slot and dance. Except he wouldn't dance for a penny!  He would stare and chatter. He really fussed when given a penny, it was better than the dance! 

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

Sure did.  I still say that the milk that was delivered in bottles tasted way better than todays milk in cardboard cartons.  We had a Bond Bread man that once a week would come to the house with a large tray of bread products.  Our produce was obtained from a man who drove a horse-drawn cart and yelled out "produce, fresh produce".  And it was fresh!  He later gave up the horse and had a truck and stopped announcing his arrival lol.  I'm so old I remember the umbrella repair man, the knife sharpener, the ice man, coal man and of course the man with the little monkey who begged for coins.  

@chlema 

we still have some locally owned grocery stores in our area where you can get milk, chocolate milk, cream, half n half, and egg nog in glass bottles from smaller dairy farms.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We Did when I was just a small child.   Although they had many offerings Mom only got the milk. with the crdboard caps.  The only other thing I can remember her ever purchasing Was the glass Speed E Whipper manual whipped cream maker.  Still have it. Still works Just had to replace the little white plastic handle.  It is now at least 50 years old and barring incident I can see it lasting 50 years more.

Respected Contributor

Our family had the insulated box, Mom's order, money, and glass bottles...the company was Thompson's Dairy, Washington, DC.  Home delivery was available through early 60's. Thompson's Dairy closed 1971.

Frequent Contributor

Oh wow, the memories!  My grandparents owned a dairy farm in Western PA, and I remember the fun of watching the trucks being loaded for the daily deliveries.

And I had forgotten about Charles Chips....loved those!

Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

I recall that we had milk delivered in the early/mid 60s. Martin Dairy Farms. I would get so excited when my Mom would leave the note for the milkman to include a bottle of chocolate milk!

@FlyersGirl  My Dad worked for Martin's!! He worked in the office and stayed with the company after it was acquired by Lehigh Valley Dairy! 

Trusted Contributor

We had a milkman, a breadman, a (we called him this) ragman, sold cleaning supplies. My mom also belonged to a shoe club, so they would come and measure our feet for shoes. Our insurance man also came once a month and collect the monthly payment. No wonder my mom never got her license, she didn't need to. No, we were not wealthy, its just how they did things i guess.
Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Wow! That is so cool! Most people I know don't remember Martins. I loved their milk and those thick glass bottles.

Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@PA Mom-mom Wow! That is so cool! Most people I know don't remember Martins. I loved their milk and those thick glass bottles.

@FlyersGirl My dad designed one version of that bottle, and we saved one for each of our children! I can't find a picture at the moment.