Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Yes! I don’t remember details but I do recall having a milkman when I was about 4. Before that, we lived way out in the country and I don’t recall where the milk came from...possibly one of the nearby farms!

Regular Contributor

We did on Long Island, New York.  As I read this the name of the dairy popped into my mind and I looked it up and there was a picture of our milkbox. Sagtikos Dairy.

We also had a bread man who came to the door with a large tray of bread, and always some cakes and cupcakes.  We always begged for the sweets, but the budget did not allow for that, so only bread.

Hadn't thought of this in years.

Trusted Contributor

sure did have a milkman and also bread man too. And got coal delivered through a chute to the basement for our coal stove for heat.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Yes, we had a milkman, for a short while from what I recall.  The "milk chute" was inside of the broom closet next to the side door off the kitchen.  The milk chute was a small, metal box built into the side of the house, and it had a latched door on the inside of the house and one on the outside of the house. 

We also had deliveries from Charles Chips and Fuller Brush.  I guess all of these were the Instacarts of yester year!

Trusted Contributor

Yes I remember the milkman briefly... I do have the silver box that the milk was left in. but I cannot remember if this pale was ours or my grandmothers..

I saw it in the garage the other day.. it brought back a few good memories.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I remember through the late sixties, maybe early seventies.  We had the dull silver box on the porch.  Funny story.....one time my mother threw her back out for a couple months, the milkman would come in the house and put it in the fridge for her.  We had company, cousins from out of state. My uncle thought who is this? He brought the milk in, put it in the fridge and left.  Way different life than today.  Otto Dairy.  

Not sure if it was a standing order but half gallons in glass bottles with the foil lids. I guess four could have fit in that box.    

We also had an egg man, sold eggs out of his trunk.  He was really old.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes we had the crate on the front porch. Simpler times. I loved the cottage cheese so thick and rich. Menzie Dairy was our delivery company. I also remember the guy who came once a month with Charles chips in a big yellow tin. 

Honored Contributor

I was born and raised in the city but every summer we stayed at our home in the mountains by the lake.  It was a rural area compared to the city and a whole new adventure for all of the summer people who were mostly from urban areas. As young children we loved walking through the woods, swimming and being in the canoe at the lake.

The milkman delivered milk and sometimes a bottle of chocolate milk appeared for a treat!  The Hostess truck, the bread truck and the frozen food truck supplied us with food and goodies.  Also the ice cream man came and that was a big treat.  I do remember having mild delivered and all the other foods . When we returned home to the city I missed all of it!!!!!  

Honored Contributor

Yes, from Arden Dairy. I can't believe that I remember that name. Our guy would come in and put the dairy items in our refrigerator.

I have a very distinct memory of the day that I excitedly told him that it was my first day of kingergarten.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I was told that my dad drove a milk truck briefly I think after the war.

My mil was having an affair with the milkman that came to her neighborhood in the late 60s and I found out that he was married to a girl I worked with in the beauty shop. Whoops! Small world.

I only figured it out because she said her husband was having an affair and I knew my mil was seeing a married milkman. I felt so bad because I was stuck in the middle.