Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Ever Go Full-On Groupie?

@GenXmuse wrote:

I partied with Duran Duran once and got a picture of John Taylor. I saw them again in 2011 and he remembered me from back then. 

@GenXmuse  WOW! 

Esteemed Contributor

For me, it was the Wrestlers. Never missed a match when I lived in NY in the 80's. But when I moved to NJ and worked at a hotel, the wrestlers stayed there when they were in town for a match at Madison Garden.

After getting to know them, I was back to normal. They were the nicest guys.

Once a housekeeper caming running into my office shouting there is a snake in the bathtub. Went with her and of course it was true. Didn't realize that Jake the Snake took his snake with him where ever he stayed.

He apologized and told us he would keep the bathroom door lock so all the house keeper had to do was clean the bedroom and leave clean towels. So everytime he came he stayed in the same room and if the bathroom door was locked we knew he was back.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 Smiley Surprised

ETA: I think that would have to be considered above and beyond as an employee! Not sure I would have been good with that.

Esteemed Contributor

Only peripherally. My sister and her best friend were very involved groupies of a multiple Grammy award winning band. It's really not my story to tell, so they will remain nameless.

They would follow this band around the country and party with them all night long. My husband and I, on occasion, would join them...that was a long time ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. An affair with a drummer in a group called living proof in the late 70's...that is all I am going to say😄

Honored Contributor

Brings back to mind the excellent movie ALMOST FAMOUS.   Anyone recall that movie?

Esteemed Contributor

Nope, I did however do some dumb stuff. Not sure, but I think the "groupie" term, wasn't so much a reference to us young boys. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I had a thing for Jim Morrison, but knowing now how high he was all the time, if I met him it would have been a no go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Yes. An affair with a drummer in a group called living proof in the late 70's...that is all I am going to say😄

@SeaMaiden  Well, that's quite another level right there.

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Only peripherally. My sister and her best friend were very involved groupies of a multiple Grammy award winning band. It's really not my story to tell, so they will remain nameless.

They would follow this band around the country and party with them all night long. My husband and I, on occasion, would join them...that was a long time ago.

@magicmoodz  I always wondered about that. Didn't your sister and her friend have jobs to go to? How did that work?