Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Ever Go Full-On Groupie?

Yes, I guess if that includes one of my ex's. He was in a band, not a famous one, and I would sit right in the front row at every performance he did. I was his groupie.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

They were very young and didn't have cemented careers at that point in their lives. 

I do remember we drove home from one gig just in time to get ready for work. Young and foolish!

Trusted Contributor

I was a huge fan of The Association.  In the summer of 1968 they were coming to my city for a concert and a friend and I went to the airport and met their plane.  They were very kind and I remember they were hauling their own equipment.  That night we were invited backstage and Ted gave me his beads.  It sounds so trite now, but as a young teenage girl, it was a huge deal.  This summer The Association is coming to our lake community to do a concert.  I hope I can see them again after all these years. 

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Yes, I was and still enamored with Ms. Ella. My father took me to see her a very long time ago and I was mesmerized by her.

Blue Skies is my favorite.

I adore Ella Fitzgerald.

Respected Contributor

Kinda Groupie: In the early 80s I was in Chicago on a business trip, meeting with a heavyweight in the film community there. She (yes, a she, unusual back then) caught me offguard when she asked if I had a crush on any of Hollywood's leading men. No one had ever asked me that (and I think I understand what she was really asking), but I replied "Of course. Nick Nolte." 

She said "He's in town this week promoting Teachers, and in fact he's staying in the hotel right across the street from yours. I know him. Would you like to meet him?"  

Sure, I replied nonchalantly (pant,pant). She called me later that day. "He'll be in the lobby bar at 9:00."

He was a no-show. Two mornings later, Nick and I were getting into taxis at the same time, about 20 feet apart. "Hey Nick -- Missed you in the lobby bar the other night." He smiled, shrugged his shoulders, said "sorry" and got into his taxi. And I got into mine. Sigh.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friend and I went backstage and met Cheap Trick when they were starting out. Robin Zander said he liked my perfume and I was thrilled. I think I was wearing Rive Gauche. At a Rush concert, a roadie asked if we wanted to party with the band afterwards. We didn't go, but it's a cool memory.

Frequent Contributor

Totally swooned over Johnny Mathis, after his concert at an outdoor venue

my friends and I waited for him to come through the back door of the stage and sure enough he came out the door to get in his awaiting car and he kissed my neck, oh my gosh, that was amazing!

My sister and her friend went to see Rich Little at the same place and somehow they got to go back stage and she actually got her picture with him standing right there very close next to her, that was a thrill!  

Honored Contributor

I met Bob Dylan in 1974 and it was the only time I behaved like a crazy person. I could barely speak, had a smile that hurt because it was so wide, heart beating out of my chest, etc etc. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

For me, it was the Wrestlers. Never missed a match when I lived in NY in the 80's. But when I moved to NJ and worked at a hotel, the wrestlers stayed there when they were in town for a match at Madison Garden.

After getting to know them, I was back to normal. They were the nicest guys.

Once a housekeeper caming running into my office shouting there is a snake in the bathtub. Went with her and of course it was true. Didn't realize that Jake the Snake took his snake with him where ever he stayed.

He apologized and told us he would keep the bathroom door lock so all the house keeper had to do was clean the bedroom and leave clean towels. So everytime he came he stayed in the same room and if the bathroom door was locked we knew he was back.

@Sage04  Love this story and the Wrestlers too!

In the Wrestling World the groupies are known as "MARKS"  I wasn't ashamed to be one! 

I have met and photographed with many of them, and my impression of most of them was down to earth.  

I took my sons to  many meet and greets. One in particular, a small event "Wrestle Vessel"  stands out. We met so many that day.

The Rock was friendly and humble. Literally, the following day his character went heel and we were so pizzed ! Met many more throughout the years.

When my son joined NYPD; he loved getting the wrestling detail.

I'm only sorry I never got to meet my favorite which was Macho Man Randy Savage. Loved that guy! 

Love your story @On It  Elvis is still awesome after all these years.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]