Respected Contributor

Re: Did You Eliminate Your *LANDLINE*? Was It a Good Decision or Not?

Yes, in 2006.  We've never regretted it for a second.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had no idea that so many people still had landlines. No, I ditched mine at least 10 years ago and I have not missed it at all. 

I use my cell phone for all of my calls. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Solar Is My Name The landline seems kind of useless.  If you have good cell service I would drop it.  I dropped my landline 9 years ago when a heavy storm (Superstorn Sandy) knocked it out almost 9 years ago.  The phone company said they would have to rewire, and I just decided to let it go.

Happy with the decision and have not looked back.

Just make sure your cell service is reliable from home.

Honored Contributor

I have a landline but only for the fax machine.  I've never used it for a phone, I don't even have a phone for it.  I don't need a landlines for calls, we use our cell phones.  In an emergency you can lose phone service but you never lose cell phone service.  We're in the middle of a huge storm now, power and phone lines are down all over but people have cell phone service.  Well, as long as they have those charging banks to charge their phones if they have to.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

we still have a landline phone on the kitchen wall....my grandkids don't know how to use it!!  lol.....

So funny.   Many younger kids have never seen one.  When my daughter was around 20, we were cleaning out our attic and came across a typewriter.  She had no idea what it was!  She had never seen one.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Did you eliminate your landline? Was it a good decision or not?

My dh and I each have our cell phones, and Spectrum serves our landline which means in a power outage Spectrum wifi, TV and landline phone numbers don't function, BUT we have a generator so that we can charge our cell phones during a power outage.

Landline cost us almost $20.00 per month, by the way.

I just want to make sure that, heaven forbid, in an emergency I could always call for help.

Leaning toward giving the landline the boot, even though we've had it for decades.

Help me with this decision, PLEASE!

Thank you!

-Solar Smiley Happy

@Solar Is My Name    I still have my landline and I like it.  I have a phone in every room even in my bathrooms.  I alsom have on ein garage.  I don't want to worry about what room my cell is in.  I feel it is also a safety thing.  I fell several years ago and could not get to a phone.  That is when I put a phone in every room.   I Know some got rid of theirs and don't miss it but I do know that those people work and are not home much.  I am home all the time so for me it works out to keep it.

Esteemed Contributor

Let me add that I do notgive my cell out to many.  I refuse to give it to my Dr. since they keep texting me about non sense such as colon tests.  When I am out eating, the last thing I want to get is a text telling me I am do for a colon test.  That happened to me once and won't happen again.  No Dr. or ins co has my cell. 

Honored Contributor

I have landlines still and probably always will.

I gab on the phone all the time.  

I hate talking on a cell phone for any length of time.  It's like holding a credit card up to your ear.  When I do, I have to have it on speaker and then I feel like everyone else can hear the convo. 

I don't want earbuds in my ears and look like I'm walking around talking to myself.  That looks--just weird.

I don't like walking around stores yapping on the phone so I really try to avoid that and just say I'll call them back later.

And then I can call from my home phone, it sits easily on my shoulder and I can talk and do and walk around my house and get things done.

Ours are included in the cable bundles, so I don't pay extra.  If I ever had to cut costs, it wouldn't be to get rid of the house phones.

Honored Contributor

Still have a landline and not giving it up.  If I did, my cable bill would not go down much.  I get reduced prices by having the internet, TV, and landline.  

There's a cordless phone in most rooms.  They recharge themselves and always ready to use except for power or cable outages; both rather rare where I live.  I can walk around inside and outside the house.  

However, without all those Halos and other gadgets to recharge your battery when the electricity goes out for hours and hours, cellphones are useless, as well.     

They may come in handy for an emergency, but that's about it for me.  I don't want the hassle of all the charging, adding minutes, buying new phones, what I consider to be nonsense when using a landline phone is free of all that.    

For those wanting to educate me on the pluses of cellphones, don't waste your time. I do have one and take it with me when I go out alone.  Other than that, it's not in use.  

I may not have helped you, @Solar Is My Name, I'm in the minority, so you'll have to decide what's best for you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Solar Is My Name 

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Did you eliminate your landline? Was it a good decision or not?

My dh and I each have our cell phones, and Spectrum serves our landline which means in a power outage Spectrum wifi, TV and landline phone numbers don't function, BUT we have a generator so that we can charge our cell phones during a power outage.

Landline cost us almost $20.00 per month, by the way.

I just want to make sure that, heaven forbid, in an emergency I could always call for help.

Leaning toward giving the landline the boot, even though we've had it for decades.

Help me with this decision, PLEASE!

Thank you!

-Solar Smiley Happy

I still have one and won't get rid of it because all the other go down when we have an outage, but not my landline. Mine phone bill is 11.95 a month.  I don't have local long distance, but I use my cell for long distance.