Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Eliminate Your *LANDLINE*? Was It a Good Decision or Not?

No I still have my landline.  I've had the same number for about 30-35 years at least.

I get so many robo (pain in the butt) calls.  I don't even have my answering machine turned on.

It does come in handy sometimes.  Many of my friends also have their landlines.

When 9/11 happened landlines were the only things that worked because the satellites were turned.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I no longer have a landline. I use a voip phone now (Ooma). It's free except for the FCC tax on it which everyone pays no matter what kind of phone you have.

ETA - I also have a cell phone for emergencies and for when my internet crashes which is rarely.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still have a landline and don't see that changing for some of the reasons already mentioned. I'm not paying much for it though nor am I out much $ with my cell. 

Regular Contributor

I converted my landline number (had for many years) as my cell phone number - that way do not miss any calls.  I do, however, miss having a phone in each room, instead of making sure my cell phone is always with me.

Valued Contributor

I got rid of the land line only because the robo calls and tella marketers were driving me crazy ! Out of 10 average calls in a day , 9 would be selling something and trying to get personal information . I tried shutting the ringer off , unplugged it , all the do not call list , nothing works , so it's gone , l do not miss it at all ! 

Trusted Contributor

We cut the cord years ago and have never regretted it. As long as you are with reputable cell service provider, the only thing you will miss is a lot more spam and  political campaign calls.

Honored Contributor

I still have the Xfinity line as well as my cell.   When one is not operative for some reason, I do not want to be alone with no way to make or receive calls.

Respected Contributor

@Solar Is My Name I have my landline and I have been very grateful for a few times that I truly needed it.

In one instance, my cell phone malfunctioned and died, and the cell phone company could not replace it until the next day. It feels good that my young kids can reach me through our landline in case of emergency.  And I can also call someone in case of emergency.

In another instance, when I had to help my mom who lives in another state (who is not technology savvy) with some issue with a company.  I was able to call the company with my landline, while talking to my mom on my cell phone at the same time.

My landline costs about $50, so I say that $20 is extremely good deal for you. Keep it.

Honored Contributor

I prefer talking on my landline.  Much better reception than cell phone and does not need charging. 

Esteemed Contributor

No regrets at all giving up the landline about 10 yrs ago.  I do have portable chargers in case power is unavailable for charging. One always in my purse.  

I live alone and share location on phones with DD so she always knows where I am, makes us both feel better.  Have a backup with iPad which can receive calls as well as computer so I dont't miss robo and sales calls.  Great decision