Respected Contributor

Re: Did/Does Your Employer Acknowledge Secretary's Day

@Sooner wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think both boss's day and secretaries day are way outdated.  Why should they be recognized?  What about everyone else that works their butts off?

It's a retro idea back to the days when it was the "girls in the office" who were treated.  These days, everyone should be on the same plane if women want to be treated equally. And I expect most do!  

That’s why it has become Administrative Professionals Day—recognizing support staff, of either gender, who contribute to the smooth functioning of a workplace. Many of those included where I used to work (a university environment) were not “secretaries.” 

@jonbon My point is why isn't every one recognized?  Why just that group? 

I don’t know. Maybe because administrative support people are often paid less and don’t receive the overt recognition that “bosses” get, yet they are crucial to the success of the workplace. I always appreciated the acknowledgement, but that’s just me. 

Honored Contributor

I do love the idea of a recognition of support staff, who are the heart of, and underpinnings of so many organizations.  The qualities that are called upon in a top admistrative assistant or secretary are many--  the ability to juggle many demands at once, good judgment, up-to-the-minute office skills, supreme tact, ability to handle complex situations and people, smarts, humor, patience.  The list goes on and on.  A good one needs the qualities of a "generalist",  the kind of flexible individual who can turn on a dime, and tackle many different scenarios.

Interesting side note: in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, when men dominated the field, the term "secretary" or "private secretary" was held in very high esteem.

The secretaries/admin. assistants that I have known and worked with, for the most part, have been impressive, resourceful, multifaceted people.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @Oznell  that was the most recognition I got for Admin Pros Day Smiley Wink Even though we don't know each other, your post made me smile. 

I see flowers coming in to the building for other department admins and I just sigh a little. My bosses are good to work for so I can't complain, but at times it would be nice if I got an atta girl especially since the admin job I do is specialized in a certain field and I wear a lot of hats.

Regular Contributor

We gave our admin asst flowers, a card with a $50 amazon gift card and brought in lunch.  We're a small office (4) and we're in the middle of a big project so going out to lunch would have been tough.  

Super Contributor

I am an admininstrative assistant and the company I work for does give us all flowers.  I used to work for a company about 30 years ago, and they did not - they said there was not a day for maintenance, a day for accountants, a day for human resources, etc.  So, when I worked there, my boss would give me something when no one was looking!