Respected Contributor

Re: Did Anything Funny Happen At Your Wedding?

Sorta.   My BIL decided to video everything with his new camcorder.

Later when we watched it everything was green.

Oh well.

Valued Contributor

DH and I did not hire a photographer, which I guess some in the family found strange if not shocking. Several of the men who were camera buffs designated themselves official wedding photographers, unbeknownst to us. They were scurrying all over the church with their elaborate camera gear snapping photos of this and that. In the midst of the ceremony the priest stopped the ceremony to bluster "All you people with cameras--please sit down! The bride and groom told me there would be no photographers interrupting the ceremony and I am very sorry to see this behavior! Now please all of you --put away the cameras and SIT DOWN!"  Woman LOL

One of the things they were trying to photograph was the message DH's nephew had scrawled on the bottom of his shoes, visible to all when he was kneeling in front of the altar, and which read "HELP...ME!"  Woman LOL  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to one of the fashion houses in NYC (no, not Dennis Basso caliber) in the fashion district to have my gown made; this was the mid-80's.  I took three photos of a gown from a magazine, and the designer said, "piece of cake! " It was a beautiful, long column gown with a wave of fabric opened from the waist down and sweeping into a chapel train (not as long as a cathedral train) in the back.  I would be able to remove the wave skirt/train for the reception.

All fittings went fine, until the last fitting, a day before the wedding, to have the wave attached and fitted.  Well the wave turned out to be billowing, 12" wide ruffles from my waist, opening to the floor, and all around the border of the train in the back!  It was absolutely horrible!  I hate ruffles, always have.  Too late to have it changed. 

I walked down the aisle looking like a young Ma Kettle. 

The reception was a lot of fun, doing the Soul Train Music Line, and my husband using that ruffle skirt as a matador's cape! 

Respected Contributor

We got married on Memorial Day as we both had the day off. It was a very small wedding - less than 15 people. I wore a dress my sister made that she didn't like on her. It was a long light green floral print. As we walked into the small chapel at church the priest said "oops every one change places". He had us on the wrong sides. My husband thought since it was Memorial Day he'd always know the date not realizing it changed each year. After almost 44 years he's still not quite sure of the date.

Trusted Contributor

I forgot about Shamrock Cliff. Sala's on Thames Street was in the budget range at that time for my ex and I. Dad paid for the reception!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn’t say funny.  It was a disaster.

The groom’s family took over the entire wedding because my family wasn’t considered religious enough.  I was allowed to get the gowns and that’s it.  Don’t ask why we put up with this, but we did.

it was a high nuptial mass with three priests on the altar and communion given to all attendees.

The worst part was they ordered a Rolls Royce from NYC and it never showed up to take me and my father to the church in NJ.  We finally went in my unwashed Chevy convertible an hour late to the church.  Then is was two hours in the church to get through this mass.  Many guests were angry.

To top it off, we had just enough time to eat at the reception and they told us we had to leave because there was another wedding waiting to get into the reception room.

It was the worst wedding I ever went to, and it was mine.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I sent the best man to the wrong address and we had to pull in a sub.

Honored Contributor

My brother got up on stage and sang with the band at the reception. My brother thinks  he can sing.LOL In all fairness, he was a little drunk.

Frequent Contributor

Back ijn 1975, people were still throwing rice as you left the church. My husband's youngest brother who was probably around 14 at the time had a box of Minute Rice. As we were leaving and the rice started flying, the box flew out of his hands and hit me in the head!