Honored Contributor

Re: Did Anything Funny Happen At Your Wedding?

We got married in the living room of my parents' apartment. My about-to-be husband's two-year-old niece wandered off and turned on the dishwasher during the ceremony.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It started with me attempting to get my dress on.  I had my hair done at the salon and she put my veil on for me.  I went to get into my dress and couldn't get it over my hips.  I was starting to cry, my mother was totally perplexed and we didn't know how we were going to get that big dress over my head with my veil on without making a mess of my hair and veil.  My aunt came upstairs wondering what all the commotion was and said "well you dumb bunnies.  You need to undo the buttons."  Then my poor mother and aunt had to button all those tiny things.  LOL

Then I proceeded to light my veil on fire lighting the unity candle with my DH.  Luckily he realized it right away and blew it out.  

We had rented a couple of Lincoln Town cars and my DH and 2 of the groomsmen were each driving one of them and all us girls were meeting at the church.  My DH couln't get the car in reverse and apparently was in his driveway for quite awhile, starting to sweat bullets because he was going to be late.  I'm not sure what made him do it, but he put his foot on the brake and the car went into reverse.  He came running in the church.  LOL

Respected Contributor

It was no big deal to me, but the bakery delivered the wrong cake and just got it switched out at the last minute before the reception began. My dad just died last year, and he always chuckled about having taken snapshots of the wrong cake. I have a few of them! 

Actually, to me the whole thing was funny because we would have preferred to elope. We only relented and had a big wedding because his mother wanted that, and I didn’t want her to be disappointed. So, I got a dress, my fiancé got a tux, people flew in from all over the country, and we had a lovely candlelit ceremony in a beautiful chapel. I was already establishing my career in the tough news business, and I felt silly doing the whole wedding dress thing. We did walk down the aisle together, which was novel at the time, because I said I was a grown woman and no one could “give me away,” and we agreed, too, that it felt right to walk together toward the new life we were creating.

Our focus was on the marriage, not the wedding, and we’ve been happy now for more than 40 years. Yes, lucky, lucky, lucky. And duly grateful.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that is the funniest wedding story I ever heard...LOL  Good thing your mom had such a good sense of humor.  I can picture it in my head..LOL    

Esteemed Contributor

My sister always said Mom was in the bathroom with her can of  Aquanet hair spray.  God love her she was a terror with that stuff. When that hair was done it did not move, ever.

Respected Contributor

Not exactly funny but the priest called me by my middle name and called my husband by the wrong name.

Honored Contributor

We got married on a Monday morning at the courthouse.  To get to the judge's chambers,  we had to walk down a hallway lined with gentlemen waiting to be arraigned for the crimes they had been charged with the previous weekend.  Not funny, but memorable.

Contributor

I too had a cascading bouquet at my wedding...1971. I tossed my bouquet, it landed on the very large chest of one of my bridesmaids sisters....it just sat there on that big chest! Too funny!

Honored Contributor

At my first wedding my dad came in and told me he forgot his shoes and had to wear his muddy work boots.  Fine with me dad. Smiley Wink

My second wedding dad told my husband to be that he'd done this before and this was the last time.  "I keep giving her away and she keeps coming back." 

My third wedding ... daddy wasn't here.  I wish he had been because this is the one that wouldn't "send me back".  

We did get a laugh out of the preacher.  DH had just made a wood mule head and my SIL asked what he had made lately ... I told him to check out DH's Arse ... it was hanging on the wall. (We got married at home). 

We all have a wicked humor and our preacher knows it.  It was the photo guy that about lost it.  He told my DD later that he loved her family.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@candyagain    What a small world.  This is the same church where my ex and I were married in the mid-seventies.  

My funny experience was that the limo was breaking down as we were on our way to the reception venue on Ocean Drive so the chauffeur just pressed on and burnt out the part that was giving way--said he wasn't going to have the newlyweds walking--and we made it to the hotel.