QVC Customer Care

Re: Did Amelia Earhart survive crash/captured by Japanese?

This post has been removed by QVC because the link contains political links.

Esteemed Contributor

I did not see the History Channel program. The photo is probably doubtful. (I'm not sure I could trust what comes out of the HC anyway.)

Some AE research suggests she made it to the island of Saipan. Was it planned? That's the question! Her venture from the start seems to have been undercover in order for this country to go in to search for her, so that they could also do reconnaissance, since it was all before WWII, and relations w/ Japan was heating up.

Hard to digest, but think of the movie, "They Were Expendable."

Honored Contributor

@AuntMameposted this yesterday but i think it was deleted due to the link......the article is from the guardian.

Well the mystery photo has already been debunked. It was found to have been published in a Japanese travelogue book two years prior to Earhart's flight and disappearance. Futhermore the photo appears to have been taken about ten years before her death.

"Matthew B Holly, a military expert, told Agence France-Presse the photo appeared to have been taken about a decade earlier than the date given by the History Channel.

“From the Marshallese visual background, lack of Japanese flags flying on any vessels but one, and the age configuration of the steam-driven steel vessels, the photo is closer to the late 1920s or early 1930s, not anywhere near 1937,” he said."

full story from The Guardian

here is another article from heavy.com

ae.jpeg

https://heavy.com/news/2017/07/amelia-earhart-photo-history-channel-debunked-japan/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Sunshine! Woman Happy  I wasn't aware the link was problematic until it was deleted. Your link is better anyway.

Honored Contributor

you are welcome @AuntMame. thank YOU for sharing.

it was an interesting article you provided and i wanted to make sure everyone had heard the news about the photograph. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

you are welcome @AuntMame. thank YOU for sharing.

it was an interesting article you provided and i wanted to make sure everyone had heard the news about the photograph. Smiley Happy

It was a shame that the History Channel included that controversial photo because the residents of the Marshall Islands who were eyewitnesses to the crash landing of the Electra and of the Koshu - the Japanese ship that took it away, did not know who Emelia Earhart was so there was no making it up. There was a small boy who was with his father and over the years he retold the story until his passing. It was the boy now a grown man that the History Channel interviewed. Everything is relfected in the commemorative stamps. 

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000427 EndHTML:000113526 StartFragment:000113046 EndFragment:000113425 StartSelection:000113046 EndSelection:000113425 SourceURL:https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=1%2fZxvlXb&id=236CCADEBB832E5919462A268201E284... 1987 marshall island commemorative stamp of amelia earhart - Bing images

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@AuntMameposted this yesterday but i think it was deleted due to the link......the article is from the guardian.

Well the mystery photo has already been debunked. It was found to have been published in a Japanese travelogue book two years prior to Earhart's flight and disappearance. Futhermore the photo appears to have been taken about ten years before her death.

"Matthew B Holly, a military expert, told Agence France-Presse the photo appeared to have been taken about a decade earlier than the date given by the History Channel.

“From the Marshallese visual background, lack of Japanese flags flying on any vessels but one, and the age configuration of the steam-driven steel vessels, the photo is closer to the late 1920s or early 1930s, not anywhere near 1937,” he said."

full story from The Guardian

here is another article from heavy.com

ae.jpeg

https://heavy.com/news/2017/07/amelia-earhart-photo-history-channel-debunked-japan/

I saw this the other day but the age of the steam vessel doesn't mean that it could not have been used in 1937.

While the photo is interesting, and certainly the show managed to really push the "authenticity" of the people in it, it's one of those mysteries that will never be solved in full certainty.

I do believe AE and her co-pilot did die as captives but I do not believe that they were on a mission of espionage.  That would not have fit AE's passion for flying, imo.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3
the main point regarding the photo in the book is is that the book was published in 1935......so the photograph had to be taken prior to that year. amelia earhart "disappeared" or died  in 1937.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Cakers3
the main point regarding the photo in the book is is that the book was published in 1935......so the photograph had to be taken prior to that year. amelia earhart "disappeared" or died  in 1937.

@sunshine45  Ugh-big d'oh on my part.  LOL 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh