Trusted Contributor

Re: Did Amelia Earhart survive crash/captured by Japanese?

@momtochloe wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I saw the story on the "Today Show", and they are theorising, (nothing has been definitively 100% proven beyond a shadow of a doubt yet), that Noonan, is on the far left of the photo, and they think that may be A.E. sitting with her back to the camera, and they think that might be her plane over on the far right.

@Plaid Pants2 I know there is a lot of room for speculation and to be honest I do not see Noonan anywhere in that photograph but the image of the woman circled does very much resemble AE but for me the thing that kind of jumped out was that image on the far left of the photograph that does resemble a plane.  I very much look forward to this special on Sunday just to see how they sort through this new data.

@momtochloe

Noonan is standing up on the far left side of the photo.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

Tee hee @cancun08 for me, I think I need someone to circle Noonan for me  instead of AE as I just don't see him . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

It does look like that could be Amelia.  I need to record the History Channel show.

It could be anybody in that picture.  So let's blame North Korea...or space aliens.... anything to start another rumor.   in reality the plane crashed and she perished....let her Rest In Peace!

Esteemed Contributor

Earhart.jpg

They are theoriziing that Noonan is standing between the tall wooden pole on the left, and the sign post . He is next to the person in the hat that is wearing (what looks to me to be) all white.

He had a receeding hairline on one side of his head.

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Tee hee @cancun08 for me, I think I need someone to circle Noonan for me  instead of AE as I just don't see him . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe

Just watched the interview with the face/body recognition expert & how he determined their identities.  Fascinating stuff.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

I personally don't believe it. She was too big of a "prize". If the Japanese HAD captured her, which I strongly doubt, they would have demanded something huge in exchange for her: money, prisoner exchange, something.

Japanese pride at the time of the war would not have allowed them to keep quiet about having such a famous prisoner. That's my own theory.

IMO there's no way to know that the photo is AE or Noonan.

Honored Contributor

It certainly does look like the pictures I've seen of Amelia Earhart.  I've always thought she crashed into the sea. This new theory is interesting if nothing else..

Honored Contributor

I've been fascinated with her story since I was in high school, and I've done a lot of my own research on the theories of her disappearance. So FWIW here's what I believe:

They crash landed in the ocean not too far from land. Fred Noonan was severely injured in the crash landing; Amelia Earhart was not. She tried to radio for help, but the signal was weak. She got him out of the plane and to the island. I believe he died from his injuries, and malnutrition and exposure,  not too long after that, probably within a few months. I believe she died shortly after that. One of the things I found interesting was the fact that they found a powder compact with the exact shade she wore on the island. There is a theory that the crabs and other creatures took care of their bodies. 

This photo theory may be plausible, but it's one of so many. I guess we'll wait and see. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I personally don't believe it. She was too big of a "prize". If the Japanese HAD captured her, which I strongly doubt, they would have demanded something huge in exchange for her: money, prisoner exchange, something.

Japanese pride at the time of the war would not have allowed them to keep quiet about having such a famous prisoner. That's my own theory.

IMO there's no way to know that the photo is AE or Noonan.

At the time, July 1937, the US was not at war with Japan.  I was not until December 1941 after Pearl Harbor war was declaired.  According to the article, it is thought that Amelia Earhart died 2 years after her capture.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@cancun08 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@momtochloe

Just watched the interview with the face/body recognition expert & how he determined their identities.  Fascinating stuff.

Thanks @cancun08 I really cannot wait for the special on Sunday.  I know it will always be conjecture/speculation but I love hearing new thoughts and ideas when it comes to her disappearance.