Honored Contributor

Dickens Publishes "A Christmas Carol" On This Day 1843

There's been so much talk about the various movies made of this classic over in the TV and Movie section.

Historically, it's interesting that the publication of this coincided in Britain with a growing interest in the celebration of Christmas.  Victoria and Albert, with their German connections, played a part in popularizing the Christmas tree.

Dickens always seems to me a mercurial man of almost "crackling" alertness and intelligence.  He was socially conscious and very interested in helping the poor.  He was deeply moved by the plight of the child tin miners in Cornwall, among others.  His own uncertain economic background made him highly sensitive to the difficulties of those around him, and these themes played broadly in his work.

I wonder if he'd be surprised that "A Christmas Carol" is so beloved and widely known today...

Honored Contributor

Re: Dickens Publishes "A Christmas Carol" On This Day 1843

I love this story, for me it is the ultimate Christmas story.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We just saw "Man who invented Christmas" and we really enjoyed it.  It was a great insight into the writing of this story at a time when (I did not know this) most of Europe did not celebrate Christmas as we do now.  Highly recommend the movie

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Valued Contributor

I just saw the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" with British actor Alastair Sim. I thought it was very good. Your observations of Dickens are well written. 

On the other hand, I thought the Odd Couple version of "A Christmas Carol" was the funniest.

"A Christmas Carol" has withstood the test of time.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

There's been so much talk about the various movies made of this classic over in the TV and Movie section.

Historically, it's interesting that the publication of this coincided in Britain with a growing interest in the celebration of Christmas.  Victoria and Albert, with their German connections, played a part in popularizing the Christmas tree.

Dickens always seems to me a mercurial man of almost "crackling" alertness and intelligence.  He was socially conscious and very interested in helping the poor.  He was deeply moved by the plight of the child tin miners in Cornwall, among others.  His own uncertain economic background made him highly sensitive to the difficulties of those around him, and these themes played broadly in his work.

I wonder if he'd be surprised that "A Christmas Carol" is so beloved and widely known today...

@Oznell  I believe that is why his works have stood the test of time-because not only did he open the eyes of so many in his era, and often people were shocked at his descriptions, but his message is as timely today as it was then.

Thanks for this time fact; I learned something again!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh