Respected Contributor

What I wonder about is HOW regional accents developed over time. Maybe I oughta google it one day... Smiley Wink

I'm from New England, but back when I was a young mom, for a time we lived in Alabama, and one summer my folks drove down to visit.

My dad got a bang out of the different accents and drawls they encountered along the way, & one day as were were talking, he wondered aloud if perhaps the local climate had something to do with it; that it's hot and sweltery in some parts of the south, and there, the residents words seemed to flow out slowly, like syrup or honey from a jar.

He said that in high humidity it was harder for him to breathe, so maybe that's why over time, they adapted, & hence speak so languidly, and take things slower.

Something to think about! Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I've never lived in the South, but do like their accents....I kind of prefer that people don't talk too fast.

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

I've never lived in the South, but do like their accents....I kind of prefer that people don't talk too fast.

@september...I know what you mean about the talking fast. I went to a sandwich shop a couple days ago and could not understand one word the girl said because she was talking too fast. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Lol!  I want to tell people that they're not trying to win a contest where they have to fit in as many words as they can in a very short period of time.

A lot of the newer QVC hosts do this....(yeah I know it's been hashed and rehashed, but it is true, and very annoying)

Respected Contributor

@september....too much caffeine perhaps? LOL.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dialects and accents

[ Edited ]

@sabatini wrote:

What I wonder about is HOW regional accents developed over time. Maybe I oughta google it one day... Smiley Wink

I'm from New England, but back when I was a young mom, for a time we lived in Alabama, and one summer my folks drove down to visit.

My dad got a bang out of the different accents and drawls they encountered along the way, & one day as were were talking, he wondered aloud if perhaps the local climate had something to do with it; that it's hot and sweltery in some parts of the south, and there, the residents words seemed to flow out slowly, like syrup or honey from a jar.

He said that in high humidity it was harder for him to breathe, so maybe that's why over time, they adapted, & hence speak so languidly, and take things slower.

Something to think about! Smiley LOL

Google "The Story of English" + PBS. It's on DVD, on Youtube and probably on Amazon. It was a fantastic 9 part series largely but not totally focusing on American English.

There was a British series called The Adventure of English hosted by Melvyn Bragg that was about how English developed in all its colonies worldwide. You could probably find it online as well. Both series are great sources of information.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Dialects and accents

[ Edited ]

@dmod nj wrote:

Born and bred Jersey Girl..........northern Jersey.   I am accentless. Smiley Wink Woman WinkWoman Tongue

@dmod nj, I don't know about that! LOL!I think you are being facetious.  My SIL is born and bred NJ, and she has a strong accent. We all think we are accentless. According to the map that someone posted, I have a Canadian accent...never heard of that before!

When I lived down South along the Gulf, I was talking to a tv anchor. She said that they are all taught in college to talk like me. She was working on losing her accent, and she actually called me a couple times to ask how a Northerner would pronounce a particular word! Woman Indifferent

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor
Interesting on the dialect and accent map....... Good generalization and it would be interesting to go more in depth.

There is an area of Mississippi with a particular accent that I can always identify. It is unique. It is somewhere in middle MS, sort of near Starkville.

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

I'm from Long Island. And l don't say "Lawn Guyland." LOL.

That's funny, I'm not from there, but that's how I say it.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

If anyone has ever seen the tv show Mob Wives, many people in other states, think that is a New Jersey accent. It isn't.