Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@febe1

If they were calling soft drinks " pop ", you were in Western PA.    When I had to arrange for a company-wide conference,  refreshments with the folks from Pittsburgh, I quickly learned that as well as our " buns " needed to be called pastries.

Amazing how language differs even within a state!

I have never heard anyone from Pittsburgh call buns pastries.

I've never heard anyone call pastries buns!  Woman LOL

Buns are what you put hamburgers and hot dogs on. Pastries are sweet treats.

Some parts of the Midwest say "pop" also. I grew up in Central IL and we said pop more often than not.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@febe1

If they were calling soft drinks " pop ", you were in Western PA.    When I had to arrange for a company-wide conference,  refreshments with the folks from Pittsburgh, I quickly learned that as well as our " buns " needed to be called pastries.

Some parts of the Midwest say "pop" also. I grew up in Central IL and we said pop more often than not.

You have never heard of cinnamon buns? Like what the national company cinn a bun is famous for.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@febe1

You have never heard of cinnamon buns? Like what the national company cinn a bun is famous for.

Of course, but the descriptive word "cinnamon" is part of the name.  If you said simply "a bun" my first thought is not that it is a sweet pastry type item

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Re: Dialects and accents

[ Edited ]

@nun ya wrote:

I'm a Yinzer. Smiley Happy

So is my brother, though it always elicited a response from our Mom. She would always either give him a smack on the head or correct him or usually both. But she is gone 25 years now so he has fallen back into bad habits.His wife is froim W Va and she also says yinz , I love them both to death anyway.My mom would cringe just as much when I would say you all after spending a whole lot of our childhood in Florida. Other phrases learned in Florida from our nanny - fixin to and chillins for children. 

Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@febe1

Of course, but the descriptive word "cinnamon" is part of the name.  If you said simply "a bun" my first thought is not that it is a sweet pastry type item

My DH said to ask you what Pittsburgh you were in because in Pittsburgh, Pa  we do not commonly use the term pastry.Of course you would know better than us because we just grew up here and lived here 65 years.

GO PENS!!!!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@febe1

My DH said to ask you what Pittsburgh you were in because in Pittsburgh, Pa  we do not commonly use the term pastry.Of course you would know better than us because we just grew up here and lived here 65 years.

GO PENS!!!!

Oh. My. God.

Please tell your DH that you read more carefully and found I never said I lived in, went to or have ever had the desire to be in Pittsburgh.  I simply said I had never heard the term buns used for pastry.

It's entirely possibly your useage is regional.  Where I live and have lived, it is not a commony used term for pastry.  I'm not arguing with you. I'm just saying I haven't heard the useage.

I hope you and your DH can now sleep better tonight.  sheesh.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My Mom was pretty particular about teaching us to not use the words that are so regional here like red for tidying up the house "I red up the house" or youse or yinz. Also pronouncing milk "melk" or wash "worsh". That plus spending a good amount of my childhood in Florida I think my accent is not nearly as strong as my DH's.

I am from South Central PA... Harrisburg area and my mother pronounced her words as you described and always told us to read up our bedrooms. Yenz is also common here.  I have always chalked it up to PA Dutch.  This was spoken by German immigrants.

We also say something is ALL when we mean all gone.  We sleep IN, instead of getting up on time.

I have spent a great deal of my work life speaking to people from all over the US on the phone and I love the different styles of speech.  My favorite is spoken by the people from Wisconsin.  My least favorite is from people from Maine... Mostly because I can't figure out what they are saying.  I do love to visit Maine and the people are lovely.  I just wish I could understand them better.

Honored Contributor

I was born and raised in NJ.  I attended college in the Midwest and  frequently heard, "You do not sound like you are from NJ."  45 years later I still get, "Are you from the Midwest?"

My husband is a Jersey boy, yet people think he is from New England.

Esteemed Contributor
  1. I grew up in Chicago and sound like it.  I think the Chicago accent sounds very similar to the upstate New York accent.  I've been asked if I'm from upstate New York many times.  I think it's cool we all speak the same language but differently.
Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@febe1

GO PENS!!!!

Oh. My. God.

Please tell your DH that you read more carefully and found I never said I lived in, went to or have ever had the desire to be in Pittsburgh.  I simply said I had never heard the term buns used for pastry.

It's entirely possibly your useage is regional.  Where I live and have lived, it is not a commony used term for pastry.  I'm not arguing with you. I'm just saying I haven't heard the useage.

I hope you and your DH can now sleep better tonight.  sheesh.

Go back and read your original post - you said we use pastry for buns now you say we use buns for pastry -- then you insist on fighting about it. Holy cow - You don't even know what you said.