Super Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with skin cancer

@Shorty2U   I am so sorry you are going thru this.  I am fair skinned, blonde hair and as a child I was sunburned repeatedly (never tanned).  My first skin cancer was when I was 21 years old -- that's 50 years ago.  It was a basal cell and had to be removed with stitches.  I can still remember breaking down and crying when the dermatologist told me.  Thru the years I've had probably 20 or 25 skin cancers removed -- most were basal cell, two were squamous.  I've had innumerable pre-cancerous growths removed.  For the last six skin cancers, I've had Mohs surgery which is now considered the "gold standard" in treatment for this.  I've had them on my face, legs and many on my arms.  I have some minor scarring but nothing terrible or really noticeable.  I go for annual full body scans.  I have seen so many that I can now practically diagnose myself.  If something looks suspicious, I have it checked out immediately.  I use sunscreen, ALWAYS wear a big sun hat in summer, and long sleeves if I'm going to be out in the sun.  I wish you the best in your treatment.

Trusted Contributor

I have had 11 skin cancers the past 5 years-the majority being basal cell but a few squamous cell.  They have been on my face, forehead, eyelid, arms,chest,legs and back.  All were successfully removed with little or no scarring.  I have lived in Texas for most of my life and never step outdoors without smearing sunscreen all over my body. I am very fair skinned and thus am prone to getting them no matter what I do.  I see a dermatologist every 6 months and check my skin daily.  If I see anything suspicious I immediately see my dermatologist.  Skin cancer is easily curable if you catch it early.  Basal cell is very slow growing too.  So lessons to be learned are always wear sunscreen, check your skin frequently for anything suspicious, and see a dermatologist.  Good luck and don't. Be afraid.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i don't know whereyou reside, but the huntsman dcancer center is a good place to see if they can help withyour treatment.  you may want to ask your dr about it.

prayers for you and your family

@shortbreadlover

Huntsman Cancer Institute is an NCI-designated cancer research facility and hospital located on the campus of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is the only National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in the Intermountain West. Wikipedia

Address: 1950 Cir of Hope Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Regular Contributor

Two years ago at Christmas time I was diagnosed with basal cell cancer on my cheek (face), and malignant melanoma on m shoulder (back).  I had very extensive surgery for the melanoma, I was actually shocked by how much tissue was taken.  I have about a five inch scar on my shoulder.

A few weeks later I had Mohs surgery on my face.  About an inch long, kind of looks like I got knifed, but it is looking better all the time and is covered by makeup.

I did spend my youth laying in the sun and getting a tan.  I also live in Arizona.  Oh, and I had invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer seven years ago.  I had my surgeries right before Christmas.  Good luck to you, you will be okay.Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for all of the replies. Wow I cant believe how many people on here know someone who had it or have had skin cancer yourself. Well you all made me feel better knowing you are ok. And for those battling cancer yet I will keep you in my prayers! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for sharing this information, @Shorty2U. I had no idea that skin cancer could appear as a cyst.

It does sound crazy that this is from years ago, and I can't help but think of all the times I spend in the sun, and in the pool with my children years ago. My dermatologist does the body check, but I have always put it off. I have an apt in Jan, and I think I will let her do it.

All my best to you, I am sorry you are going thru this, and thanks again for sharing the info about the cyst. That's good info to know and may very well help someone reading your post.