Trusted Contributor

Re: Derecho storm

[ Edited ]

I'm grateful when the weather people can predict that these powerful storms will be headed our way so that we can be ready for them.

I live in the Southeastern part of Wisconsin, and we knew that we were headed for some nasty weather.

We also got this same system from Iowa, and as others had mentioned, Iowa got the brunt of the storm.

No hail for us, but there were areas with power outages and some heavy rains and some local areas of flooding from this Derecho.

We tend to experience those minor power outages here where the power will go on and off and on and off and then come back on again whenever we have a serious enough storm going through our area.

Some people in our area will have their power go out for a few hours, and for some it can be overnight.

I guess that it just depends on whether or not a tree hit a power line--whether or not something like that happens from a storm.

Honored Contributor
I had never heard of a derecho until I saw it on the news. How terrible for everyone involved. We are just finished getting final repairs done from a tornado and another thunderstorm 18 months ago. I know how long it takes to clean up, but just do it as much as you can at one time, then put down the rake and start again later. You never said which state you are in, but I hope everyone gets their power back on ASAP and insurance companies pay their policyholders fairly.
Honored Contributor

It took 6 hours to rake my back yard today.  What a mess.  

Honored Contributor

More information of Derechoes and they are formed. The straight winds can go up to 100 mph.  I didn't know they get that strong. 

https://www.weather.gov/safety/wind-thunderstorms-derecho

Honored Contributor

People know that water is destructive, but wind can be just as bad, or worse. 

I feel the news media nationally has not covered this story as much as it should have. Lots of lost crops might have some impact on food prices later this year. 

I was hoping that with the pandemic, Mother Nature might have mercy on us and not hit us with a lot of horrible weather related stuff this year. I guess she isn't listening!

Super Contributor
Thank you for saying something. I'm in CR metro. No national news has reported this that I know of. Our Governor just requested about $3B in expedited emergency relief for a land hurricane and most of this country doesn't even know it happened. Many people in CR have been displaced and some rural towns will be without power for another week or so. Iowa is not just crops and pig farms we are cities and agriculture. We are refuge settlements and grain bins.
Respected Contributor

@all wrote:
Thank you for saying something. I'm in CR metro. No national news has reported this that I know of. Our Governor just requested about $3B in expedited emergency relief for a land hurricane and most of this country doesn't even know it happened. Many people in CR have been displaced and some rural towns will be without power for another week or so. Iowa is not just crops and pig farms we are cities and agriculture. We are refuge settlements and grain bins.

@all   I am sorry that your town is dealing with this nightmare.  We had one in our area some years ago and I had never experienced it before.

Your term of a "land hurricane" describes it very well.

I hope things get easier as the days go on.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF