Honored Contributor

I was also in this one...

but Iowa got hit first..as it moved into my state...

it hit 12 miles East from me had storm hit first   plus east part of that town had a tornado!

M y daughter called me  on her cell to advise it hit there  no electrcity,etc,lots of damage and  it was headed my away and would hit   my town very soon...got   off the phone   just as the winds came!

Wow! I'm not going to complain about tree damage,etc...as other towns were really hit hard!

The town where daughter and a son lives but different side of that town...have electricty now..but cable and internet  came  onbackThursday(yesterday)!

(Mine only blinked and came   right

back on...in my town)

Thank goodness no lives were lost!

Cars,etc can be replaced...aged trees after cleaned up can be replaced!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

We had one in the DC area maybe 10 years ago?  It is quick and deadly.

I had never heard of it before then.

Prayers to you and your neighbors that you get through it quickly.

@VaBelle35 

My son's house was hit by this storm.  All the trees on his property were downed!  It looked like the end of the world!!!

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@VaBelle35   I had never heard of a "derecho" before that one in my DC area either.

I remember it came in late on a Friday night.  The wind howled like a train coming through and all of the trees on the street, including the large ones, were bent over and touching the ground.

People were without power for days during one of the hottest times during the summer.  The devastation was awful.

It is like a cross between a hurricane and tornado...at least it felt like it.  If you hear that type of storm on any forecast, run to a basement or safe inside room.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@dooBdoo 

Thank you.  My area was lucky and was minimally impacted.  But Iowa truly suffered the worst of it.  When it got to Illinois, mostly the northern half of the state was hit.  We were kind of on the southern edge of it.  

And we did not suffer the long power outages like @CalminHeart  did.  Mr. 4 kitties and I got all the twigs, leaves and branches cleaned up so we are okay now.  

The poor farmers sure had a lot of crop damage.  

You're welcome, @4kitties.   I feel so terrible for all involved.   It seems like just when everyone is trying to settle and manage one set of challenges others -- big ones -- crop up.😢   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I'm glad you're okay, too, @cowboy sam.  Continued prayers for all.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

We once had a terrible ice storm and when you were outdoors, you could hear the trees dropping in the woods every few minutes.  The weight just knocked them down like a feather.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@VaBelle35   I had never heard of a "derecho" before that one in my DC area either.

I remember it came in late on a Friday night.  The wind howled like a train coming through and all of the trees on the street, including the large ones, were bent over and touching the ground.

People were without power for days during one of the hottest times during the summer.  The devastation was awful.

It is like a cross between a hurricane and tornado...at least it felt like it.  If you hear that type of storm on any forecast, run to a basement or safe inside room.

That's how I described it as well.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Derecho storm

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35  The Derecho is different then a tornado.  It's a straight line wind shear.  A wind shear can make just as much damage as a tornado.  They occur most frequently in the Mid West, but can happen anywhere.

Honored Contributor

@songbird   Thanks.

What I meant was, when describing it to people, it felt like a combination of both.  Fast like a tornado, intense like a hurricane.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@songbird   Thanks.

What I meant was, when describing it to people, it felt like a combination of both.  Fast like a tornado, intense like a hurricane.

The only consolation is they move quickly.  The seem to hang around for ever when they are on top of you.  It's just that is several lines of storms coming quickly one after another.  I personally think they are worse then a tornado.  Thankfully, they don't happen as much as tronado