Respected Contributor

Re: Derby Winner Country House has been pulled from the Preakness..

@barrel racer wrote:

The owner of Country House did not think he should have won and will not race in the Preakness.  The horse is a gelding so no breeding oportunities.  I think it’s wise not to risk injuries.  It’s not because of illness.

@barrel racer , please supply a source. I'd like to read more about it, but I can't find the story you're re discussing.

I found many sources reporting that Country House has  cough and that is why he will will not run in the Preakness. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For anyone who wants an informed argument for why the KD decision was wrong, google "Andrew Beyer Kentucky Derby".

This is someone with a career covering the racing world.  It at least gives the other argument and is worth reading.

(I'd post the link, but I'm never sure whether it would contravene some rule.)

Honored Contributor

@Venezia   I tried but it won't allow me to unless I subscribe. A few other sites discuss his outlook regarding the track and how to bid going forward but they also require subscribing to read the entire article.

Shame.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Venezia   I tried but it won't allow me to unless I subscribe. A few other sites discuss his outlook regarding the track and how to bid going forward but they also require subscribing to read the entire article.

Shame.

@SahmIam- I'm not getting that.  Here's the link, if it works:

Andrew Beyer KD

Honored Contributor

@Venezia  Thank you for the link; sadly, the block popped up there too. It's odd because I have my ad-blocker activated. I'll have to contact a buddy you gets the paper so I can read it the old-fashioned way, lol.

Trusted Contributor

21 horses died at a single racetrack in the last 10 weeks. How did it happen? 

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Shame.

@SahmIam- I'm not getting that.  Here's the link, if it works:

Andrew Beyer KD

the link works but if you have an ad blocker it will not let you read it until you disable the ad blocker. if someone could post some of the important information that would be great.

yes, i have read some experts who have said the decision was a mistake, others have said it was a good call.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

"Because Maximum Security’s infraction did not affect the outcome," Beyer wrote, "disqualifying the winner was a bit like deciding the NBA Finals on a foul away from the ball."

In Beyer's view, he estimated that the incident cost affected horses one length and that War of Will, Long Range Toddy and Bodexpress would not have won anyway.

"The consequences of Maximum Security’s misdeed could have been catastrophic," Beyer wrote, "but they weren’t. War of Will recovered quickly and resumed his chase of the leader. He had a virtually clear path ahead of him and a quarter mile to catch the front-runner. He accelerated and got within a length of Maximum Security, but the leader repulsed his bid, and in the final sixteenth of a mile War of Will ran out of gas. He faded to finish eighth. Without the trouble, he might have finished fifth. He would not have won. ...

"If Maximum Security had veered into the path of Country House, then defeated him by less than two lengths, there would have been no debate about what the stewards should do. The foul would have cost Country House a legitimate chance to win, and the resultant disqualification would have been prompt and uncontroversial."

The best argument against Maximum Security's Derby disqualification

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/kentucky-derby/2019/05/08/kentucky-derby-disqual...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein