Respected Contributor

Re: Depression from loss of mother

@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

Firestripes:

I'm sorry you are going throught this.  I lost my mother at age 17 from a brain tumor, she was paralized from the chest down.  Her quality of life was horrible.  Since you posted this, I am going to give you my 2 cents.  It may not be well received, but here it goes.  Your mom is hanging on because she thinks she can't leave you.  Tell her it's OK to "go" if she wants to and that you'll be OK. (Beause you will be OK.) Your mom's hearing is the last sense to go so tell her everything you want her to know so your mom has peace and so do you.

Stop thinking of yourself and how this is affecting you. Right now, you need to make your mom as comfortable as possible.  Pray for her, pray with her.  Hold her hand, kiss her cheek.  Your role as caregiver is going to change, pray for the wisdom and strength to see it and to deal with it.  Don't believe in God? No problem, reach out to Him, He is waiting for you to ask for help--and if you don't believe He exists then what harm would it cause anyway?

My mom has been gone for 30 years and it hurt me more to see her suffering than the suffering I would go through missing her.  I miss Mom everyday but I would not want her to suffer 1 more minute.

As a final note, my Mom did ask for permission to die and she did tell me she saw a light and felt a great feeling of love waiting for her.  I gave her permission to die  without hesitation. I won't lie, it was hard as heck and it took me a while to deal with her death.  Don't be afraid to see a grief counselor.  You are not useless. It's just that this particular situation is out of your hands.  We can't stop death but we can help people transition as peacfully and as lovingly as we can. Stay strong and God bless.

@Forbidden Fruit I forgot to put that in my post that we told our mother to go be with God that we will miss her and we'll be ok. She died within a few hours after telling her. 

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry that you are going throug this.  It is very difficult and just about everyone has to go through this process a time or two in their life.

i work around children who are very confused and grief stricken when someone close to them passes.  I try to help them and I truly beleive what I tell them.

Human beings have many cycles. The first one being in their mother's womb.  The second life begins when they are born here in the material world.  The third phase is spiritual.  They pass to a spiritual word and must leave their material body behind.

All of this is natural and normal and no one is immune.  Your mother isn't dying.  She is preparing to go on her journey to the spiritual world.

RIght now she is here with you.  It is well known that even when people are going through the passing processes, they can still hear.  Now is  the time to talk to your mother and tell her that you love her and how much you appreciated all the good things she did for you and the sacrifices she made, etc.  

You might also tell her that it is okay for her to move on when she is ready and that it is okay to go. Sometimes people will fight the process because they don't want to disappoint their loved ones by leaving.

I lost my mother when I was 27.  It wasn't easy and I still miss her very much.  I know she is always with me and that some day I will see her again.  

I held my father's hand as he passed away.  It was a privledge and an honor.

Grief is difficult when it is new and raw.  As time passes, you will make peace with it and move on with life.  You will always miss your loved ones, but the sadness is replaced by your memories and good thoughts 

I'll pray for a peaceful passing for your mother and blessings for you and your family during your grief process.

Contributor

I am so sorry for what you & your family are going through.  I went through the same thing with my mom.  I lost her to ovarian cancer when I was 19 years old.  I still miss her terribly every day.  Counseling helped me a lot and also a book called "Motherless Daughters"was helpful as well.  I was sad & lost for a long time, but I had to go through it alone so that probably added to it.  You have a great base of frineds & fmaily, they will get you through it.  For me, time was a great help as well.  I have been there, you are not alone.  XOXO

Frequent Contributor

Firestripes.....After my father died, my mother became my 5th child.  Although she was very healthy, for a 80 year old, she missed my father and their life together.  We lived 15 miles apart, my family, adults with their own families were attentive to her whenever she needed something, anything.  My mother had/has a son, but unfortunately, he was not interested in her welfare and never visited her or called her.  The rare times he would call me, his questions regarding her were more out of guilt than concern or love. I never expected anymore from him and was not shocked by his behavior, as he led his own life without her or me for that matter for many years.

As the years went on, she became less in control of her everyday activities. He legs became painful, even though she was always very active in her senior housing, delivering meals and visiting her ailing neighbors.  She had a minor blood pressure issue and of course the failure of her legs, but no major or chronic health problems. Suddenly, she developed some TIA's (small, minor strokes) which caused some minor short lived confusion.  After her failing leg strength was not responding to medication, my husband and I brooched the subject of moving into a assisted living development within a mile of my house.  At first, giving up her apartment and with it, her independence, was not something she wanted to do.  Months later, she agreed and she moved in to a lovely senior assistant apartment very close to my home.  I visited this facility at least 4 times a week willingly. I was trying to get her to become more active with the other residents, take short trips, go to outside lunches but she wouldn't.  Unfortunately, her stay in that facility only lasted less than a year.  She had a stroke and was forced to leave this facility and be admitted to its neighboring nursing home.  Once there her health and mood changed and I feel she just gave up.  I spent from 8am (breakfast) to 6pm (dinner) everyday with her.  My mother never became confused or unable to carry on a conersation.  Those last 7 months that I spent everyday with her are ones that I will cherish for the rest of my life.  We talked together everyday about the old days, hers and mine as a child.  She told me stories that I had never heard before about so much of her young life, married life, relationships, main life events and so much more.  The best part of this time we had together was when she told me how much she loved our "time together, just chatting" and remembering some of the old songs that she loved to sing, and I loved to hear as a little girl.  What a gift that time was for me too.....one that 11 years later, I think of everyday.

My hope for you ise that you schedule a visit to you family physician.  Talk to him regarding your depressive feelings and your fear that you are somehow failing your family.  What you are feeling right now is your fear of losing your mother and is nothing to be ashamed of.  Most fortunate women have a loving and close relationship with their mothers until the day we lose them and beyond.  Your family knows what you are going through and if appropriate (not knowing the ages of your children) perhaps they can help with her care so that you can step away for a short time.

Don't wait.  See your doctor now before the eventual happens.  There is no shame in taking antidepressants, they take a while to work and you need to start them asap for your own mental health and for that of your family.

We're only human and sometimes we need a little help to get us through the hard times.

Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

Losing your Mother is a very emotional situation that most of us have to go through sooner or later. ITA with the poster who advised you get some grief counseling.

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life Is your mom under hospice care?  If she is, a social worker and a clergyperson are provided...and usually grief counseling up to 11 months after a passing.  

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

You have my condolences upon your loss. How wrenching it is to see those we love suffer.

Not eating or drinking is the body's way to naturally prepare for death- by shutting down. Food or liquids would extend her suffering.

How wonderful that she is dying peacefully in her own home with her loving little girl beside her- what a gift.

Your own children will use you for an example of how to treat their mother, how to feel about their mother, how to grieve the loss of their mother. They will see just how dear she is to you.

Please be kind to yourself, it's necessary to allow ourselves to grieve, we only get one mother. You sound like a wonderful daughter. Let the love of your mother and family help you get through this sorrowful time. Let you memories soothe you.

Again, I am so sorry.

Trusted Contributor

Is your mom in hospice?  They can help her and you deal with the process of dying.  We had hospice for our 33 yr old son dying of a rare form of cancer.

Honored Contributor

Death of loved ones is never easy, we all go through this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Is your mom in hospice?  They can help her and you deal with the process of dying.  We had hospice for our 33 yr old son dying of a rare form of cancer.

Sorry you also had a child die,the worst loss ever.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.