Super Contributor

Deposited check, it says "Teller Check Deposit Reversal"

Our nephew deposited a government check this afternoon that is showing as "Teller Check Deposit Reversal." Of course, checks can obviously take a day or so to clear. but why does it say 'reversal'? Never seen that happen before with a check, let alone a government check. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Deposited check, it says "Teller Check Deposit Reversal"

[ Edited ]

I'd contact the bank, reversal usually means the check or funds will or can't be deposited..........

Super Contributor

He did call their 800#, didn't think any one would be there this time of night. They said the teller accidentally deposited the check twice, so that is why and as usual with checks, the amount will be there tomorrow. 

Honored Contributor

What did the bank say?  Is it possible that the check was deposited into a closed account which resulted in a reversal? 

Honored Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

He did call their 800#, didn't think any one would be there this time of night. They said the teller accidentally deposited the check twice, so that is why and as usual with checks, the amount will be there tomorrow. 

@msh8970

Did the amount of the check increase the balance in his checking account?   In spite of the strange wording, did it go through?

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH  I'd be checking for sure that the teller did indeed post the deposit the first time in the accurate amount.

I also hope your nephew kept the receipt so he has proof of making the deposit the first time.

I'd be checking the account a couple of days after the fact to make certain it does in fact reflect the accurate amt and that the deposit was made the first time.

Respected Contributor

Why don't you call the bank?  You'll get the real answer.

Regular Contributor

I am a banker.  Sounds like the teller ran the deposit through twice and reversed one of the deposits out.  It should all clear overnight and he should either see two deposits and one reversal or just the one deposit.  Depends on the type of system the bank has.  I would check my account in the morning to make sure all is well.

It is what it is!!!