Honored Contributor

Re: Dentures and eye glasses for the elderly that can't afford it?

Another way to possibly find out how to access these "helps" might be to call the nurses office at the local high school. They are rich in suggestions, because many needy students must access these. 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

No, Medicare does not pay for dentures.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/dental-services.html

Medicare part B covers them under prosthetic devices to replace a body part. I googled medicare and full mouth dentures and that is where it took me in medicare.gov.

Esteemed Contributor

Medicare Dental Coverage

Overview of Medicare Dental Coverage

http://www.mymedicare.com/medicare-dental-coverage/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@151949, do you have a direct link on the medicare.gov site that specifies dentures are included in prosthetics? They are also not considered Durable Medical Equipment under Medicare definitions.

From medicare.gov:

Prosthetic devices

How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers prosthetic devices needed to replace a body part or function when ordered by a doctor or other health care provider enrolled in Medicare.

Prosthetic devices include:

One pair of conventional eyeglasses or contact lenses provided after a cataract operation

Ostomy bags and certain related supplies

Urological supplies

Breast prostheses (including a surgical bra) after a mastectomy

Cochlear implants and certain other surgically implanted prosthetic devices

It's well known that Medicare does not provide dentures. It's specifically stated on medicare.gov in no uncertain terms. If they did, every denture-wearer over age 65 would be getting their dentures through Medicare.  Medicare is perfectly fine with people being edentulous - they are not much concerned with quality of life, and one can live (albeit not happily) on liquids.

Interpret the Medicare info above as you like, but if you're counting on it you're going to have an unpleasant surprise.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Medicare Dental Coverage

Overview of Medicare Dental Coverage

http://www.mymedicare.com/medicare-dental-coverage/

Taken directly from the above site:

Medicare doesn’t make payment toward the price of dental appliances, like dentures,

Respected Contributor

I'll try and make this clear because it does get confusing.

If you are on Medicare and have purchased a supplement insurance plan you may be able to purchase dental insurance from that carrier. It doesn't cover much. I chose to continue with my previous dental insurance through my former employer. 

If you are on Medicare and have a HMO, you may be able to purchase a dental plan through them. But again, they don't cover much and it's dependent on what the HMO guidelines are. You must see one of their dentists. I have friends who are enrolled in a HMO and pay additional each month for vision and dental. My late mother's HMO paid for a yearly vision exam and partial payment for new glasses every two years. The frames were limited in choices.

Medicaid: It varies by state as to what is covered for vision/dental. In Ca this is called Medi-cal. I found that if somone is on Medi-cal (Medicaid) and is a resident in custodial care in a Nursing Home they had better coverage than if they lived at home. My mom received the eye exam and glasses at no charge. Because she was a resident in a NH and in custodial care, a dentist visited the facility, extracted her remaining teeth, made the molds and in two weeks she had a full set of dentures-at no cost to her. If she had lived at home she would not have received those dentures. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with hearing aids too  (snort)

Contributor

I live in Michigan, and the Detroit tv stations have help desks that would help this gentleman.  There is also "go fund me", I think that is what it is called. A family just got the Monet for a dog for their diabetic son that will alert when the child's blood sugar goes too high or low. Anyway, just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

I'll try and make this clear because it does get confusing.

If you are on Medicare and have purchased a supplement insurance plan you may be able to purchase dental insurance from that carrier. It doesn't cover much. I chose to continue with my previous dental insurance through my former employer. 

If you are on Medicare and have a HMO, you may be able to purchase a dental plan through them. But again, they don't cover much and it's dependent on what the HMO guidelines are. You must see one of their dentists. I have friends who are enrolled in a HMO and pay additional each month for vision and dental. My late mother's HMO paid for a yearly vision exam and partial payment for new glasses every two years. The frames were limited in choices.

Medicaid: It varies by state as to what is covered for vision/dental. In Ca this is called Medi-cal. I found that if somone is on Medi-cal (Medicaid) and is a resident in custodial care in a Nursing Home they had better coverage than if they lived at home. My mom received the eye exam and glasses at no charge. Because she was a resident in a NH and in custodial care, a dentist visited the facility, extracted her remaining teeth, made the molds and in two weeks she had a full set of dentures-at no cost to her. If she had lived at home she would not have received those dentures. 

Thank you for this, @kdgn. I have the insurance & finances for this now, but it's good to be aware that if I went to a nursing home (hopefully waaaay in the future) on Medi-Cal that might be an option. My mom did receive eyeglasses while in a nursing home, but not dental work. She had to pay for a removable bridge, but I think that was pre-nursing home admission.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

He should apply for Medicaid through the State.  If he gets food stamps and fuel assistance, he's probably eligible.   If he isn't eligible for that, he can look into a Dental School.    They have dental clinics but they can a little expensive.  Less than a dental office but not inexpensive.  For the dentures he can also just be honest.  Go into a dentist's office, get an exam, explain that he needs dentures and ask for a discount and some type of payment plan.  Dentists do that type of thing all the time.  For his eye glasses, the frames are the expensive part of eye glasses.  If his frames are good, he will only need new lenses and once again, he should explain his situation ask for discount and payment plan.