Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dentures and eye glasses for the elderly that can't afford it?

@mima wrote:

@violann wrote:

If he's anywhere near a medical school, many have clinics that are available for people with limited finances.

If he's a veteran, there are services for which he may qualify.

If there is a local Office of the Aging, they may be able to make recommendations.

Most communities have social service departments that may be able to refer him.

Part of the problem is often that there ARE sources for help, but that identifying them and locating them is often quite obscure/difficult.

I agree with you that I thought surely there WERE sources for help, but didn't know where to look. 

No medical school anywhere close since we live in a little town (less that 4,000 people).

He is not a veteran.  We do have an Office of Aging.  I will have him call them.  I didn't even think about that.  Thank you!

@mima- try Eyes for The Needy or the Lighthouse, tho it's organization is for the blind the NYC branch helped me once for a client or they can refer you elsewhere.  It depends on your location and how active the branch of the Lighthouse is in your city.  This was NYC.  But, EFTN, collects glasses for this purpose.  Dental, The Department of Aging and Senior Services in your town, should have some information to help him.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This situation brings up an idea.

Not saying OP needs to do this, or that the person in this case would accept, but how about when we see this kind of situation arise, instead of giving to the (fill in the blank) regular charities and organizations we all tend to give to on a regular basis, we simply take the opportunity to help the individual in need?

No forms to fill out, no wondering how much of our donation actually serves those in need. Just actual help given by someone who cares to someone who needs. 

I get that OP may not be able to afford it, the recipient may be too proud to accept, we don't want to offend or make them uncomfortable or any other number of things that come with something like this.

But in reading the OP, it made me think that often people say they wish they could help on the individual level, where they know it will make a real difference, do for people in their own town that are in need, rather than a faceless charity that goes farther beyond local needs. Well here it is! 

This is exactly the kind of thing so many people would love to be a part of. So with that in mind, perhaps local churches or some social group in the area (heck, even a book club or scout troop looking for a community service type project) would love to help out with raising the funds to get this accomplished.

Contributor

This breaks my heart. I have insurance and after one visit,I am maxed out. I have been a health care worker,most my life. My sister is in the same position as your friend. Why,is there no help for Seniors,or for anyone in this situation? I spend hours online trying to find help for people in need. Some states have free dental clinics,for fillings and extractions,but no dentures. Really sad. I am now facing the dental nightmare myself. This problem affects so many people. This needs addressed! It affects,nutrition and many health problems. The need for glasses,may prevent falls and give joy to one's own being. I do know,many states have a voucher choice program,that greatly reduced the cost one pays for rent. If this would help,maybe the cost difference would help. God bless your friend and all those who need care. I will keep fighting and looking to help those in need. Many people have worked and even those who couldn't, should not have to struggle in there lives .

Respected Contributor

I sincerely hope that you have found an answer by now, but I do have one other suggestion.  If all else fails, try contacting your local State Representative or Senator.  I have seen them be of help in our state when all the other sources have been exhausted.  You might also contact the state office of the Eye Associates or Dental group.  Sometimes they have members who will help with a needy situation.

Respected Contributor

This thread should be held as example to everyone as to what Internet forums could be if they were only used with a little courtesy and compassion. I am impressed by those who cared enough for this gentleman to extend help for him.  Imagine the power that could be used for good!

@mima  God bless you for going the extra mile to help this gentleman. Please come back and let us know how this situation evolves. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Most advantage plans pay for eye exams but not glasses and for yearly dental exams but not if work needs done, however, MY Medicare and you book says medicare will pay 100% for dentures so he could look into that.

Honored Contributor

No, Medicare does not pay for dentures.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/dental-services.html

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack@mima@151949@IamMrsG@Perkup

Thank you for the reminders, @MaggieMack!

Also, the Optimists' Club (as well as the Lion's Club) provide used glasses and the donated glasses can be found at some doctors'/Opthalmologists' offices.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde correct.  From that site:

Medicare doesn't cover most dental care, dental procedures, or supplies, like cleanings, fillings, tooth extractions, dentures, dental plates, or other dental devices.

My MIL (on Medicare) needed dentures; thankfully my SIL is a dentist; she did all the work. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde correct.  From that site:

Medicare doesn't cover most dental care, dental procedures, or supplies, like cleanings, fillings, tooth extractions, dentures, dental plates, or other dental devices.

My MIL (on Medicare) needed dentures; thankfully my SIL is a dentist; she did all the work. 

I'm looking at this situation myself in the next year. I'm lucky enough to be able to pay for HMO dental insurance currently and also have some $$ stashed for dental/eyeglasses (knew this would come up) but I hope it lasts me until I croak ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all