Respected Contributor

Dentures and eye glasses for the elderly that can't afford it?

I know an elderly man on SS and he barely gets by.  His dentures need replaced really bad and his vision has changed and he can no longer see well with his current glasses.

He is a tenant of mine.  He said he can't afford dentures or glasses and I told him surely there is help out there.  He does get a small amount of food stamps and gets LEAP (help with his utility bills) so he can prove he can't afford those two things.

I googled, but could only find help for people under 19 or children.  Anyone have any ideas?

I will pass on the information.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dentures and eye glasses for the elderly that can't afford it?

If he's anywhere near a medical school, many have clinics that are available for people with limited finances.

If he's a veteran, there are services for which he may qualify.

If there is a local Office of the Aging, they may be able to make recommendations.

Most communities have social service departments that may be able to refer him.

Part of the problem is often that there ARE sources for help, but that identifying them and locating them is often quite obscure/difficult.

Honored Contributor

Call United Way. They would be able to give you a list of places in your community that may be able to help.

If he has Medicare/Medicaid, they may be able to help some. Not sure how much they help with those things these days. There may also be other organizations to help the elderly in your area & UW will give you info on them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

If he's anywhere near a medical school, many have clinics that are available for people with limited finances.

If he's a veteran, there are services for which he may qualify.

If there is a local Office of the Aging, they may be able to make recommendations.

Most communities have social service departments that may be able to refer him.

Part of the problem is often that there ARE sources for help, but that identifying them and locating them is often quite obscure/difficult.

I agree with you that I thought surely there WERE sources for help, but didn't know where to look. 

No medical school anywhere close since we live in a little town (less that 4,000 people).

He is not a veteran.  We do have an Office of Aging.  I will have him call them.  I didn't even think about that.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

Call United Way. They would be able to give you a list of places in your community that may be able to help.

If he has Medicare/Medicaid, they may be able to help some. Not sure how much they help with those things these days. There may also be other organizations to help the elderly in your area & UW will give you info on them. 

Thank you.  I have heard of United Way, but didn't exactly know what they did.  I will tell him.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a local Lions Club? They might be able to help him with eyeglasses.

We have a service in our small city called the Volunteer and Information Hotline, and by dialing 211 you can receive referrals for a multitude of social service issues. Maybe a city near you has something similar.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Try New Eyes for the Needy.

http://www.new-eyes.org/us-voucher-program/

Only his social service agency can apply on his behalf which shouldn't be a problem if he receives SS. 

I'm not sure what state. This website may help

http://www.toothwisdom.org/

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Doesn't he qualify for a SS Supplemental Advantage Plan?   I don't think there is a premium for those on Medicaid and SS.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Say Nay @MaggieMack  Thank you both!  I would have never thought of those sources either. 

Great info. here!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Doesn't he qualify for a SS Supplemental Advantage Plan?   I don't think there is a premium for those on Medicaid and SS.  

I've never heard of it.  I'll google it now.  Thank you!

Edited to say:  It looks like an insurance plan.  He said he only has Plan A and Plan B whatever that means.  I think that is above my head.  I can have him call that Aging Office and ask about that.  I think they would know about that.

Thanks!