Honored Contributor

Re: Dental implant problems?

Anybody remember the flood of commercials for those "Quickie Facelifts"??

I'm in the process of getting dental implants by an oral surgeon......by the lengthy method.   I have other implants that have been in my jaw for years.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

The misconception is that the places that advertise 1 day service, is that the1 day is the only day work is done.  You need initial appointments for consultation to make sure you are a candidate, you only have a temp dental plate and need follow up appointments till properly healed and permanent implants placed.  Pretty much the only difference being the temp teeth are made on site that day so there is not the delay of sending the impressions out to be made.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I did an implant the right way and it cracked my jaw waited for that to heal. It lasted three years and I just had it yanked out because it was falling out. I don't know what hurt worse getting it put in or taken out. My new dentist said because my jaw cracked it never seated properly. What an expensive nightmare. Never ever ever again. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was born without my permanent eye teeth and have worn a partial since my baby teeth fell out.

My Dentist talked me out of getting implants a few years ago....I was so disappointed....but it is what it is and the rest of my teeth give me no problems..

Trusted Contributor

I had three implants about five years ago.  I was fortunate to have been referred to an extraordinary doctor who did a wonderful job.  But I paid $2500 per implant, which is the average price in my area.  Quickie implants might sound good - and be less expensive - but you actually do get what you pay for.  Cheap isn't always better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a mouthfull of implants...most are many, many years old.  Never have given me a minute of trouble thus far.  The only issue I had did not involve the implants....it was a bone graft procedure that didn't take, so I couldn't get an implant in that area.

With all my years of experience with implants, I would NEVER go to those "24 hour" places.  I know how long the process takes.  I don't see how they could cut out the time needed for really good implants.  I believe mine each took a 3-4 month time (maybe more, but I just can't recall for sure) from start to finish, to allow proper healing along the way.

Honored Contributor

My implants are over 5 years, I have 4 on the top which hold a permanent bridge and two on the bottom that hold a removable one

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I had a single implant done a year and a half ago and it was the easiest dental work I've ever had, and believe, me I've had a lot of hours in a dentist chair! I had the three month procedure and it wasn't cheap. Dental insurance paid for the crown part of the implant. I chose a top rated dentist, voted number one in our area for many years in a row. She was great! I never had pain, swelling, or bleeding. I walked out of the dental office from having the post implanted and went shopping. I would not hesitate to have another... from her, never from the one day people. 

Super Contributor

My dentist is a well respected implant professional, so out of,curiosity, a couple of years ago I asked him about those one day businesses.  Sorry I don’t remember the exact specifics, but essentially, they insert only two or four posts as the base for an entire set of teeth.  This is opposed to each tooth having its independent structure.  Last year I did need my first implant and went the long way.  It was costly but well worth the time and investment.

These ads are like so many ads for other cosmetic processes that sound to good to be true, because they are.  They may work for a percentage of people, but there is such a high risk that I would never take the chance.

Honored Contributor

I am not at all surprised and I honestly don't know how any person call fall for that "cheap and fast" way of getting dental implants when everyone knows it's very expensive and takes time.  Even the tradional way of doing it comes with problems for some patients.  Some people aren't good candidates implants but I bet those "show me the money" places don't tell them that.  I thought about it for some back teeth I had extracted years ago but I don't want to pay that much and my dental insurance wouldn't much at all and I don't want to go through the process, that's assuming I am a good candidate for implants.  I had a coworker years ago who had two implants and that woman spent thousands of her own money and went through much pain and many trips back to her dentist and in the end, the implants just would not take.