Regular Contributor

Dental Questions for Those Who Do Not Have Dental Insurance

My husband and I do not have dental insurance. We both use to a few years back, but with job changes, we currently do not. I have a couple of quick questions for those who do not have dental insurance. Do you still go twice a year for cleanings? And, how often do you get a dental x-ray? I've been going twice a year and only getting dental x-rays every 2 years. My SIL works at the office where I go and she said it is not necessary to get dental x-rays every year. I'm even thinking every couple of years isn't necessary as long as you don't have any issues with your teeth and that maybe only once a year is necessary for teething cleanings. Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Dental Questions for Those Who Do Not Have Dental Insurance

I am ready to drift off, which I had found this conversation earlier.m I am 70 and have had beautiful teeth until these past 3 years.  Teeth are breaking, falling out, right into my mouth etc.  I have had to have the roots of 4 teeth removed last week.  My dentist has been gluing me together for years, but now nothing holds.  I finally had a long talk with an oral surgeon and he tells me women are really in a bad way with their teeth due to reclas and or prolia for our bone loss problems.  I have terrible osteoporosis.  

I have so much to say, ask and share, but my eyes are closing.  If anyone can help me with any suggestions, I would be greatful.  I am thinking of doing upper dentures (ugh) and getting this over with.m (several teeth are loose. HELP. Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband goes for cleanings 4 times a year... I go twice a year. You just have to budget the cleanings in... I put  a certain   amount of money aside  a month so when the cleanings come due, I have the money. If you do not see the money, and you squirrel it away.... you do not miss it.  I would rather pay for cleanings and checkups rather than wait until my teeth hurt and be desperate to have to go to the dentist.

Most  Dentists will work with you on payments if you need an expensive procedure. Often times they offer no interest monthly loans. Just ask your dentist. There is always a way to work things out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband (70) and I (62) do not have dental insurance.  We always had it when he was working, but when he retired, we decided not to take it.  We see our dentist once a year for cleanings while we are back north in the summer.  My cleanings never take long as I form very little plaque.  I have been blessed with good teeth (never had a cavity).  It has been years since I have had Xrays.  I have always gone by the thinking that if there isn't a problem ie pain or such,  I don't get xrays.  My cleaning last week was $115.  That is much less than dental insurance.  My husband had to have more work done this summer as a result of dental issues that go along with a bone marrow transplant he had 6 years ago.  He has dry mouth and that does cause tooth problems.  So far what we have spent on dental work is still less than what insurance would have been.  We haven't regretted not having insurance....yet.

BTW when we had dental insurance, we still only went once a year for cleanings and rarely had xrays.  Our dentist was always agreeable with that decision. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My dental plan allows for x-rays every two years because they don't think it's necessary to do every year.

Honored Contributor

When I retired nearly 3 years ago, I COBRA'd my dental and vision coverage for 18 months.  When my 18 months was up, I chose to get out from under my previous employers connection, due to their poor job in keeping up with their retired employees benefits.   I chose to purchase dental coverage thru Delta Dental; I have the premium plan, and pay $29 a month, which is close to what I paid for dental coverage when I worked.   It is very easy to enroll in this plan online, and I have found the coverage to be quite hassle free.     I was not blessed with nice teeth, but have always tried to maintain my oral health.   My dentist knows I will not invest thousands of dollars into saving my teeth at this point, but would choose to have them pulled and replaced with dentures.  Dental health is very important to me, and I continue to do my checkups twice a year as scheduled, but outside of paying for a new or replacement filling, I would ask that the tooth be pulled before I would agree to a root canal, cap, crown, bridge, etc.   Anyone who has had a joint replaced, needs to maintain good oral health.  I have to take a mega dose of an antibiotic before my dental checkups, as a precaution due to my knee replacement.   Any oral infections can set up in the replaced joint, resulting in the need for another surgery.    A very close family friend had an abcessed tooth that turned septic, that not only destroyed his replacement joint in his knee, but nearly killed him as well.   

Honored Contributor

I don't have insurance either.  But I feel it's pretty necessary to have cleanings twice a year.  I just figure it in as something I have to pay out, like the rest of the bills.

If bigger stuff comes up I have used my CareCredit card.  They always have interest-free promos - anything from 6 to 24 months depending on the cost.

But I did learn my lesson back when I still had medical insurance but it stopped including dental.  I wasn't going and figured that if I did everything I possibly could, I could maintain my teeth on my own.  I WAS WRONG.

I think that twice a year for cleanings is pretty much the minimum unless you never (like, literally never) eat food, rinse with an antibacterial, and don't drink anything acidic.  Keep in mind that a lot of things that you might not consider acidic actually are - in both food and drink areas.

I found that even just brushing and using dental floss was nowhere near enough.  I can floss like a champ and then use the Waterpik or the Proxabrush and there is still debris in there.   But even doing all that, it's necessary to have the cleanings.

Trust me, if I didn't feel like I HAVE to go twice a year I would go less.   But I don't want to backslide.   Also, my last full check up and full set of exrays (fortunately, they've been very cool with me and didn't force me to do that for several years) came out with no problems.  I was so glad!!  I just automatically expected there to be some problem.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We do have dental insurance, but it is not full coverage for everything.

Most practitioners (and dental insurers) recommend an exam and cleaning every six months. If an individual has periodontal issues, more frequent cleanings may be recommended.

Bitewing x-rays are generally done every two years, unless one is experiencing a problem with a particular tooth. I can't recall what time period is recommended for the panoramic x-ray.

Sometimes something can be going on with a tooth or crown that you or your dentist cannot see from the surface. Periodic x-rays help as a further diagnostic tool to catch problems that may be starting before they go too far.

There has been times when I have exceeded my time limit for exam/cleaning when I was looking for a new dentist.  (I'm picky.)  But the bottom line is a person must do what they can afford and make this known to their dentist.  Another option if available near to you is a University dental school.  The treatment given is excellent and supervised and the costs are somewhat less.

Honored Contributor

From what the OP said, I doubt cleanings would have done any good since her condition is caused by osteoporosis, but she didn't say that she hasn't been getting regular cleaning.

Honored Contributor

I also would suggest checking out Delta Dental.  

When I retired in June, I had been told by my job that my job category did not qualify me for Cobra so I applied for Delta as a new client.  My fee was going to be $35 monthly.  A week after I did that I received a letter from Cobra saying I could continue my medical and dental as it was but paying privately.  My Delta is $21.75 a month.  I just had a root canal and my portion was $183.  Had I kept the Delta Dental without being attached to Cobra I would of had to pay 50% of the root canal fee after a waiting period after signing up.  I was lucky because that root canal could not wait.  It probably would have been $500 out of pocket without Cobra status.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)