Honored Contributor

Re: Dental Questions for Those Who Do Not Have Dental Insurance

Don't know where you live but many large cities have either dental hygienist or dentist schools. Call and ask what services they offer. Some are very low cost.

Honored Contributor

If you have a regular dentist, he or she will work with you if you explain your situation.  I would say that regular cleanings and exams are a must.  But yearly or even every other year xrays are not necessary unless there's a genuine need.  You save and budget; like you do for everything else.  

Respected Contributor

Yes I go every six months.  It's IMPORTANT!  It costs me about $120 for routine cleanings and checkup,  but I get a small discount for paying at time of service.   I get an x-ray once a year,  that adds a little more to the bill. Preventative care is important! 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

You should research around the internet to see if you could afford to buy dental coverage. We found we could get Met Life from the Elks at a group rate.

Honored Contributor

I only go in, when I have an issue. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@june22 wrote:

My husband goes for cleanings 4 times a year... I go twice a year. You just have to budget the cleanings in... I put  a certain   amount of money aside  a month so when the cleanings come due, I have the money. If you do not see the money, and you squirrel it away.... you do not miss it.  I would rather pay for cleanings and checkups rather than wait until my teeth hurt and be desperate to have to go to the dentist.

Most  Dentists will work with you on payments if you need an expensive procedure. Often times they offer no interest monthly loans. Just ask your dentist. There is always a way to work things out.

Many people can't put money aside for the dentist, and live paycheck to paycheck. They go in when they have to. pain etc. Dentists usually work with you, when you don't have insurance.

Contributor

Check out www.dentalplans.com

it is a discount program and good savings.  The customer service agents are very helpful on selecting a discount plan based on your dentist and answering any questions.  It is a yearly fee, mine was 145 plus extra month.  My plan also has a pharmacy discount if you need it plus a discount on vision services.  I am very pleasened with the service.  

Honored Contributor

Hi Missy!  While I understand the situation, it's a conundrum.    The unfortunate part of the equation, when one doesn't go in for any maintenance, is that you will end up having to pay WAY more.

I learned that when I stopped going for quite a number of years and when I finally had a situation that forced me to go, I ended up having to spend almost $10,000 before it was all said and done.

That was a bummer, but it was caused entirely by the fact that I was not having the dental maintenance over those year.  Smiley Sad

I don't live on much right now so I have to plan out everything to get the most out of my money.  Cleanings are about $115 where I go, so it gives me a lot of time to put that together every six months.  If I were not able to do so, then I'd put it on a charge card because that $230 a year is a lot less than even having to have ONE procedure. 

Honored Contributor

As we age, like everything else the structure of our mouth can change.  Even if you've never had a cavity, and are in zero pain, you can be suffering from bone loss.

There are dental schools, community colleges and clinics where you can have at least a yearly exam for much less than you'd pay at a private dentist. 

I have a friend who thinks nothing of spending money on handbags, shoes and her hair. Yet, she won't go to the dentist until she's in pain. (and by then it's too late)