Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I like Gary as a person, but I don't like his styles nor designs. Denim & Co. is not what it used to be and the quality is not there anymore. I have tops from Denim & Co. from many years ago (before the Garalyn shows)....which were much nicer and higher quality. 

Is he actually the designer or is he more of a merchandiser? I haven't bought any Denim and Company in forever, but what I have seen at a glance recently does not really impress me. They used to have such variety and some really cute styles to go along with their jeans and tees. Now it's all jeans and tees from my observations.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I always feel as though there is a lot of variety in a line as large as D&Co -- jackets; dresses of different lengths; skirts/skorts; all different lengths of pants/jeans/shorts (knit and woven); tops with several different sleeve lengths (knit and woven), etc.

(Gary is the head of the design team and has overall responsibility for the line. He has experience in many aspects of fashion design, including merchandising, creating sketches, etc.)

Esteemed Contributor

Gary adds a lot to the D&C shows. It's more interesting when the designer and host exchange product information and there's a little chat going on.

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady , @RainCityWoman : I’m 74 and say dude. Not all the time but often enough. Hmm, wonder what that says about me🤪

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I like Gary as a person, but I don't like his styles nor designs. Denim & Co. is not what it used to be and the quality is not there anymore. I have tops from Denim & Co. from many years ago (before the Garalyn shows)....which were much nicer and higher quality. 

@Effie54.  I disagree.  I've never had anything bad happen to a D&C garment.  No shrinking, fading, pilling, unraveled seams or hems, stretching.  They wear like iron.  I tire of them and donate just so I can buy some new.  The old tops had no stretch and no prints.  They were mostly solid color French terry; I have no desire for more of that.

In what way do you think the current quality is poor?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman    I don't have any problem with the word dude at all, per say.  It was the entire tone of your post that seemed condescending to Gary's qualifications to be a presenter of the brand.  For me, that lent an air of negativity to "Dude" in your title.

Words change all the time, based on how we use them.  Somehow I think you already knew that.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@RainCityWoman    I don't have any problem with the word dude at all, per say.  It was the entire tone of your post that seemed condescending to Gary's qualifications to be a presenter of the brand.  For me, that lent an air of negativity to "Dude" in your title.

Words change all the time, based on how we use them.  Somehow I think you already knew that.

@Caaareful Shopper, I think that you best expressed the reason for some blow-back about "dude." -- not the word itself but the context in which it was used.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Agree.

Particularly as the last sentence of the OP was "Surely he's not a designer, is he???".  That put a period on the condescention.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Denim & Company Dude

[ Edited ]

I agree that the OP didn't seem particularly impressed with Gary but that's her prerogative. This is what...one of thousands of threads that find nothing to write home about whether it be it about a vendor, a host, or a designer? 

What I found interesting was the concern about the word dude, not from most people of course, but in particular the comment that "most people have progressed from "chicks" and "dudes" in this decade" which couldn't be further from the truth. A least I got a good chuckle from that. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Sadiesadie 

My mother's name was Sadie. A name from the past.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Geez. I also didn't realize that the term "DUDE" was such a hot button designation. So for those of you who seem to be offended....substitue "GUY." Eyeroll.

@RainCityWoman  If you used "Dude" for a male, what would terminology would you have used for a female?

Your post did/does make a lot of us wonder where you have been for many years for several reasons. Most people have progressed from "chicks" and "dudes" in this decade.

Language speaks in many ways. 

Well, I guess you're just superior in every way, now aren't you?