Respected Contributor

I don't mind Gary, since there is a reason for him to be there, but I do mind the random misc. 2nd person they have on, for practically every product.   Not the designer, not the creater, just some random "expert".   That's gotta be at least part of the reason prices are so high.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Since when does Denim & Company need a spokesperson on with the program hosts? They never had one before, and I just don't see what he hadd to add. In fact, I don't know his capacity in that job? Surely he's not a designer, is he???

since when do any of the Q products really need an additional rep,  but that's another topic

I don't mind Gary,  I get the impression he has been in the industry for a long time and knows the business, DC is designed by a team, I don't think he does any think himself 

Yes, he has many years of experience in the women's garment industry and has been at QVC for over 12 years. He is in charge of the D&Co design team; I think they had a trivia question during the D&Co anniversary month which said there were 12 people on the team (someone correct me if that's not right). I believe he is intimately involved with the line, even though others may develop the prints or whatnot. I also think people need to understand that he works within the constraints of what D&Co is -- he didn't just decide to give it the look and feel that it has; it has always had roughly the same design aesthetic. He has expanded and extended the line, and judging from the number of items and shows, it is very successful. (He also doesn't set the prices!)

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Yes, Gary has been on for years now and I don't dislike him.

But I am sure that many of us remember a time when on QVC when there was a host and only a host for most of the presentations.  Only occasionally would you see a vendor with a host. Joan Rivers comes to mind.   Also back in the day, there was one host at a time.

So I do understand the question.  Believe it or not, there were many years of just a host.  instead every product of every category having a vendor or spokesperson or designer. 

@PhilaLady1   The question referred only to Gary and D&C.  We have Earth with Sally, Josie with Argan Oil, LIam with Vionic, etc.

If OP is watching the Q, certainly she has seen other vendors.

Gary is on the design team.

I don't believe Liam designs Vionic and I'm almost positive Sally doesn't design Earth-she is a marketing exec.

So that is the confusion about the question.

If you see one vendor, you see them all.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Denim and Company is one of the very few shows I will make an effort to actually watch on QVC.  I like the shows that have Carolyn and Gary together.  Can't take any of the other hosts.  Carolyn is more my size and "style" I guess you could say.  Relaxed dressing. 

I think Gary presents himself well, and appears to be kind and self efacing.  He speaks quietly and is knowledgeable in spite of the turn D & C has taken lately in the designs. 

I cannot stand Isacc M. and his showboat attitude and you'd have to tie me down to make me watch one of those sickening Isacc and "Shawnie Sue" shows.    

Honored Contributor

Re: Denim & Company Dude

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama wrote:

Denim and Company is one of the very few shows I will make an effort to actually watch on QVC.  I like the shows that have Carolyn and Gary together.  Can't take any of the other hosts.  Carolyn is more my size and "style" I guess you could say.  Relaxed dressing. 

I think Gary presents himself well, and appears to be kind and self efacing.  He speaks quietly and is knowledgeable in spite of the turn D & C has taken lately in the designs. 

I cannot stand Isacc M. and his showboat attitude and you'd have to tie me down to make me watch one of those sickening Isacc and "Shawnie Sue" shows.    

@Georgiagrama   What-and miss out on their deep conversation regarding whether the moon is a star or a planet??? 

I like Carolyn, too.  The most pleasant voice, like how the models are all different sizes AND she tells you what size they are wearing.

I agree about Gary, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I believe Gary has been with D&C for 20 plus years.  He often talks about the design team, so Im of the thought that he is a manger type that oversees the designs and may contribute to the designs.

Gary is pleasant, very knowledgeable and can hold a decent conversation.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Since when does Denim & Company need a spokesperson on with the program hosts? They never had one before, and I just don't see what he hadd to add. In fact, I don't know his capacity in that job? Surely he's not a designer, is he???

since when do any of the Q products really need an additional rep,  but that's another topic

I don't mind Gary,  I get the impression he has been in the industry for a long time and knows the business, DC is designed by a team, I don't think he does any think himself 

Thank you for your polite response. I do think some of the designers at least speak to how things are finished and constructed. I appreciate that when they have the knowledge of their product inside and out. I think it's funny that some think he has been around 2 years, others have said 5, years and years, etc. Nobody seems to know for sure. I just noticed him recently.

@RainCityWoman, memory is subjective, but even this currently non-watcher remembers seeing him for on air with hosts for many years. I think that's what surprised others about your post.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

The "Dude" is Gary Goben, and he is D&C's senior designer for at least a decade, and I think longer.  Why wouldn't he be on-air with the designs?

He started appearing on air with the hosts about four years. This year it was announced that he would be on-air in nearly all D&C presentations. 

As I have said, in the past, there was no need to have anyone but the program host on for D & C since it's a QVC line. I admit that I don't watch on screen presentations very much any more, but I've seen him a few times lately. 

---------------

With some hosts, I do see the need for Gary.  There are those hosts who can sell well by offering all the right information and descriptions.  But there are some hosts that never do give out all the right information and descriptions.  Those that don't do well in the sell, need a 'Gary' person.

I actually enjoy his comments and humor.  Seems like a very good-natured person and I think all the hosts enjoy co-presenting with him!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't always get the opportunity to watch the D&C shows, but I do like the cameraderie that Gary has with the hosts.  The hosts respect his knowledge of the product, while the hosts get to explain colors and sizing.  Works for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Geez. I also didn't realize that the term "DUDE" was such a hot button designation. So for those of you who seem to be offended....substitue "GUY." Eyeroll.