Trusted Contributor

Dell TSV.......any thoughts or opinions?

My desktop computer is about 13 years old.  I've been thinking about getting a new one for a long time now, and I do know that I want a desktop rather than a laptop.

Can anyone tell me if the TSV is a good deal?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dell TSV.......any thoughts or opinions?

I can't comment on the TSV -  but I do not have the aversion to Dell that some posters have.  I'm working on an old Dell laptop right now.

Four years back, I shopped Apple for a laptop and left without buying when the sales associate "guaranteed" me I wouldn't need another new machine for at least 5 or 6 years.   The cost for that, giving me what I wanted at the time was over $2100.

I went to Costco and found this Dell which was essentually 1/3 the price.  It's still working and I still have my $1400 tucked away for the day when this one dies.

You have to know what you want your machine to do, how much you want to spend, and go from there unless someone can give you specifics on this machine. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't care for Dell so I would pass. I also don't care for an all in one computer. If the monitor or hard drive quits working your out your whole computer. If you have a nice monitor, keyboard, mouse already you could just buy the cpu box to upgrade. The Dell has 1TB but the other specs are not there IMO.

I just saw a HP Slimline Intel Core i3 CPU at Office Depot for $350. Has 1TB hard drive, 8GB memory expandable to 16, 3.7 GHz processor speed. Comes with keyboard & mouse. You would also have to buy a monitor if you need a new one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The processor is an A6 (they're up to A10 now) and it only has 4GB of RAM. For those reasons alone I wouldn't buy it.

If you plan to keep your computer for 4-5 years you need one that's at LEAST A8 or i5, preferably A10 or i7, and minimum 6GB of RAM with 8 better. Don't buy just for today, buy for the future.

As for it being AIO, QVC sells an extended warranty, as does Best Buy, Fry's, etc. so if the screen goes you're covered. You can buy a warranty no matter where you buy the computer. Keyboards are cheap.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The "all in one desktop" has been pushed by various manufacturers for years and has never caught on.  I'd much rather have separate components that can be replaced at reasonable cost when they fail and upgraded when available.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I have an all in one with touch screen but bought it from Walmart for the same price and it's an HP which I would select over a Dell any day of the week..................I love my all in one, because you can use it like you would a tablet or like you would a normal computer.

I have two computers I use at work, and one is all all in one and the other is a tower because it's dedicated to just my design program........but when working with a client I just remote into the tower to access the design program but have all the convience of the touch screen at my desk............I have an HP touch screen lap top I got from the Q and love it also.

I highly reccomend the touch screen but not a Dell, I love HP..............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

We have a Dell desktop that is about 2 years old , a Dell laptop that we use when we go to Pittsburgh as our main computer, it is about 7 years old and still works perfectly. DH recently installed windows 10 on it, and I just a few weeks ago purchased a Dell chromebook. We have had great experience with our dell products. I will say that if you deal directly with Dell through their website you get the very best deals, and I always think QVC has too much software installed on their computers that I'd never use, but it's on there using up space and you are paying for it. I would advise you check out the dell website and see if you couldn't get a much better deal there.

Honored Contributor

QVC almost always sells old, out of date electronics.  Be sure of what you buying.  It doesn't pay to purchase a computer that isn't keeping up with the processor speeds and demands of software and storage needs--which keep going up and up. 

Honored Contributor

@Sue98

Millieshop gave you excellent advice.....

"You have to know what you want your machine to do, how much you want to spend, and go from there unless someone can give you specifics on this machine."

Just to add to the above, when considering purchasing electronics especially computers, you need to do RESEARCH & READ THE REVIEWS.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

After my husband had a Dell as a work computer, I'd never buy one. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval