Honored Contributor

Deja Vu? Student Missing in Bermuda on School Trip

A 19-year-old student who went missing in Bermuda while on a school trip with his college rugby team has been pictured in surveillance footage taken hours earlier.

Mark Dombroski is a freshman at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 

He was visiting Hamilton, Bermuda, with his team for a rugby tour when he went missing early Sunday morning from a popular bar on the island. 

Surveillance footage shows the teen at The Dog House bar wearing a green T-shirt and khaki shorts before he went missing after 1am. 

During a press conference with the Bermuda Police on Monday, officials said there is no indication at this time that Dombroski was intoxicated when he went missing. 

Surveillance footage last spotted the rugby player at 1.15am. 

One woman said the player did not appear to be enjoying the 'party atmosphere' with his teammates.

He reportedly injured his shoulder during his game earlier that day, and the footage allegedly showed him favoring that injury.

Officials said they do not believe Dombroski made it back to the place he was staying before he went missing.  

Dombroski's parents are on the island helping with the search and his two brothers are supposed to fly in Monday to assist.

The 19-year-old is described as 6-foot tall white male who has blonde hair. 

He was last seen wearing khaki pants, a green T-shirt and black shoes at The Dog House, a bar in Hamilton, Bermuda. 

Dombroski was supposed to leave the island with his rugby team later on Sunday to head back to the United States. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Deja Vu? Student Missing in Bermuda on School Trip

how awful for the parents, has there been another student missing before in Bermuda on a school trip? 

Honored Contributor

Bermuda is one of the safest islands I have been in, we took the local bus at 1am and had no issues. I suspect there is more to the story

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbumwrote:

how awful for the parents, has there been another student missing before in Bermuda on a school trip? 

@Bhvbum

No, the 'deja vu' I was referring to was the Natalle Holloway case who disappeared on a school trip to Aruba, several years ago.

We were recently discussing that case here on the forums.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope and pray this ends well.

Why is that whenever a young person separates himself or herself from the rest of the partying group, bad things happen?

First off, the individual feels alone and vulnerable, as proved by separating from the group with which he or she is uncomfortable, for some reason.  Then, accept the fact that the individual has indeed made himself alone and vulnerable because of said separation and being in an unfamiliar environment.  You do not even have to be in another country.  This missing young man was reportedly not inebriated, but when someone is, he or she can get lost leaving a popular bar in the Nation's Capital.  It has happened multiple times in the Adams Morgan area of D.C.  

Drunk and unfamiliar with the surroundings, young people have climbed rooftops and fallen to their death down unexpected shafts.

Throw in unsavory characters, and anything can happen.  Even worse in a foreign country. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76

I agree with what you're saying, in the animal world, predators always seek out the one that leaves the safety of the herd or the weak.

I think human predators are the same.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope this ends well for this young man and his family.  Bermuda is very safe, but there have been other instances of young people being murdered there, just like any country.  I do not know how easy it is to sail into Bermuda on a private boat of any size, but I know that from having lived on an island that people can sail in undetected and some are there for nefarious reasons.   Just hoping for the best.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

My prayers are with the boy, his family and loved ones and teammates. Why are under age students allowed to be out after curfew and in bars unless drinking age is different? I’m no prude and had my share of fun and innocent craziness but we live in a different world now. Things happen anywhere, anytime. Why be out alone especially in a strange place?🙏🏻🙏🏻

Valued Contributor

That does conjure up the horrible Holloway case, which still haunts a lot of us til this day.  Prayers that they find this student soon.

Honestly, with the way the world is today...these school "trips" and spring breaks should remain in the U.S., and not in a "foreign country" or territories of the U.S.    In my day, schools went to Washington DC, and NYC which meant it was cost effective for the school and parents, and then, somewhat safe.  The trips schools take today is where most couples honeymoon.

Honored Contributor

@mercyMewrote:

That does conjure up the horrible Holloway case, which still haunts a lot of us til this day.  Prayers that they find this student soon.

Honestly, with the way the world is today...these school "trips" and spring breaks should remain in the U.S., and not in a "foreign country" or territories of the U.S.    In my day, schools went to Washington DC, and NYC which meant it was cost effective for the school and parents, and then, somewhat safe.  The trips schools take today is where most couples honeymoon.

In the Holloway case, it was not a school sanctioned trip. It was a trip after graduation.