Honored Contributor

Who wants to be in quarantine for 2 weeks for people who's not gonna notice if your even there or not.

If your conscience is bothering you send present, cash, or gift card, but, don't risk getting contacted by authorities and put in lock down

I wouldn't go there for love or money

Good Luck !

Respected Contributor

I'm starting to think some people are deaf and blind.

We are being asked to help our country for a few more months.  Just stay home.

Respected Contributor

I think a lot of people see the dangers but don't really understand until someone they know personally gets it - and then have the fear that they were possibly exposed. 

As an "essential" worker, my co-workers and myself do what we can, but when someone you know gets Covid that you work with day over day, it hits home that maybe you were exposed and you start second guessing all the times you may have been close enough to catch it, if you could have touched something they may have just touched, etc.

I think that is when a lot of people start taking this awful virus seriously - when you fear you may now have it.

I think sending my regrets to a wedding are nothing compared to the regrets you may have if finding out someone at the wedding had it and infected others who attended the wedding and then have to quarantine yourself wondering if you will start getting symptoms in the upcoming days.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@happycat : I had 2 weddings this fall- both large gatherings.. First one was for my niece. Only family members in attendance (not including Bride's immediate family) were DS, his fiancee & myself. We were miserable. Declined the wedding of a friend 2 weeks later. Wasn't going to do that again for anyone. After the first wedding no regrets except having to call the bride and explain why I could no longer attend as I had RSVP'd that I would go originally. Declined with ample time for bride to cancel my meal.

Anyone having a big, traditional wedding at this time must accept that probably at least 50% of invited guests will decline. 

Do not second guess your choice. It is the right one. I suggest you send a check to the couple and lose any guilt you might have.

I did drop off a gift and was generous with some cash in the card, this past weekend. I'm glad I was able to do that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@happycat   Don't feel badly about not attending your nephew's wedding.  

My son was originally supposed to be married last May here in DC followed by a big, formal evening reception.  Then it was rescheduled for August.  Again had to change to date uncertain.

So, they decided to get married in their condo on Zoom by a justice of the peace.

When the covid-19 crisis is over they will have their reception as originally planned and with some sort of renewal of vows.

I believe they did the correct thing and although they were disappointed they didn't want the large number of their friends and family members to risk becoming ill.

So my outfit and shoes and evening bag are ready and waiting in my closet.  

Dear son and his wife are good sports about it.  Said all the delays are giving them a chance to lose some of the pandemic pounds they've put on so that he will fit in his tux and she can wear her gown; they are fortunate enough to have been able to work at home all this time and can continue to pay the mortgage on their condo so they know how fortunate they are to still have their incomes and good health.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

I would be so proud of your son and his wife for the way they handled this. Like true adults, who put others first and have common sense. I'm glad they were able to keep their jobs thru this pandemic. 

And when they have the reception, you will look lovely in your outfit, I just know!

I think you are one of the kindest, classiest women on this board. And I enjoy your posts, @aroc3435.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:Y

Ok, I'm in a blunt mood tonight and haven't read the other responses yet.

I think it is unconscionable that they are holding a potential super spreader event in the middle of a raging pandemic.  I have massive amounts of disdain for that.  Zero respect.   None.

I would have absolutely no guilt at all in saying he.. to the no, I'm not going.  Easiest decision I'd make all year.  

ICU's at or near capacity, overworked medical personnel, but hey none of that matters.  The wedding does.  I could go further, but I'll stop.

You are absolutely right, @gidgetgh. I know I shouldn't feel guilty, I hate the feeling of letting peole down, but they need to think of how they will feel if someone gets covid and dies.  Or just gets covid. I don't want to make anyone sick. My dh and I have sacrificed for the past 9 months and it would be stupid to go and let all this being careful be in vain. 

Occasional Contributor

There are so many gathering that have been missed this year you're not alone.  All of us have to do the right thing mask up and social distance.  You did the right thing it will be interesting to see how many from the wedding end of sick.  

My son and daughter in law are physicians they both are now positive for Covid, they have 2 small children I beg people to please follow protocol it's essential don't be selfish and think only of yourselves and the events you will miss, families are suffering.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 - I will second what @happycat said! Congratulations on your new daughter-in-law! DD was supposed to be in a wedding last June. That couple postponed their wedding until next fall. Your son and your new DIL handled things perfectly. Best wishes to them!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

Why not ask the medical professionals at your local hospital if you should attend if you are still in doubt.....

@DottieBlue, from what I see on the news the medical professionals at my local hospitals are too busy for me to bother asking them anything. One more reason I don't need to go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

DH was in a doctor's office today.  Workers, patients and family members, there must have been 100 people there.  They have very, very large waiting rooms, 3 to be exact and a number of treatment and diagnostic rooms but they are all under the same room and people go in and out from one location to the other.  They are only seeing emergency patients right now and thankfully, we were given an appointment but I really fear (once I saw the crowd of emergencies there) that we have or might have been exposed to Covid.  It is hard to see that many people in one building albeit a large building.  They have the 3 waiting rooms but they are only divided by archways which they built post Covid.  We have been there before but never had so many people.  It was frightening and yes, they all appeared to be people who had to be seen.  

I'm so sorry, @Nonametoday. That must be nervewracking. I am praying that you and your dear husband do not get it.