Respected Contributor

Re: Deciding which home to break into, based on real estate pics

@happycat  this is one of main reasons I don't post inside pictures or videos of my home on social media.  I have to constantly tell my family to disconnect those location apps on their phones that say "checked in" at wherever they are...I have seen pic/videos on facebook that give tours of  a person's home and I am thinking you are just making it easier for a thief to know what you have in your home and it helps them decide whether or not to target that home.  We just had cameras installed around my moms home because there was a neigherbors's grandson (on drugs) stealing items from peoples home when they were away.  He stole my brothers work tools and was caught but that sense of security is shaken when someone coming on your property and takes something.

SN: It was good the neighbor questioned the two men but I don't know if I would have...probably would have just called the police...we know most of of our neighbors and if they are moving we know about it so we watch out for each others homes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u  I recently sold a three-bedroom, two-bath rental house. Decided to sell it empty and did not have an Open House. Only had it listed MLS and had Realtors bring their loan-approved clients through. It sold in 12 days. We close the end of September. In the meantime, I'm concerned about it sitting vacant for a total of 60 days! Grateful it is in a good neighborhood, on a quiet street and the neighbors (and new homeowners) are watching it. But concerned about students who are now back in the nearby high school and may become aware it is vacant.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I just saw this maybe a week ago, another thing to be aware of: whether the home is vacant or involves snowbirds - squatters are now taking over posession of the home including having utilities put in their name showing they live there.

Squatters are very hard to get rid of once they establish residence. It involves lawyers, courts, etc. which equals $$$.

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched American Greed and there was a ring of thieves that had quite a run on businesses and homes.  They knew when someone would not be home and they had high tech equipment to disable alarms, cellphone connections, etc.  Turned out one of the police officers were involved and he could get info and help them get in and out safely. 

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

I just saw this maybe a week ago, another thing to be aware of: whether the home is vacant or involves snowbirds - squatters are now taking over posession of the home including having utilities put in their name showing they live there.

Squatters are very hard to get rid of once they establish residence. It involves lawyers, courts, etc. which equals $$$.

@riley1, You are so right about that! I have some family members who own a bunch of rental homes and also homes for sale. One of my cousins posted last week on fb, that anyoe who has any homes setting empty in this area, they better watch out, I guess she had gone to an empty home and there were homeless people living in it. I really don't know what happened, but she said she would never go to anyother empty home without a firearm.

Things are plum scary.

Honored Contributor

I guess it's the up-to-date way to be a more successful thief. Years ago, thieves used to show up at open houses to case potentials.  Checking pictures is certainly easier for them.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I just watched American Greed and there was a ring of thieves that had quite a run on businesses and homes.  They knew when someone would not be home and they had high tech equipment to disable alarms, cellphone connections, etc.  Turned out one of the police officers were involved and he could get info and help them get in and out safely. 

I watched that episode.  I am an American Greed junkie.

The crooked cop tried his best to convince the judge to keep his pension of $80k/yr.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

You never know what dishonest people will do. Years ago the read the obits, to find out when it was safe to rob the bereaved, because they were attending a  funeral and wouldn't be at home

@cherry

They still watch the obits so they can rip people off during funerals. SAD!!!

Happened to my brothers wife when we were at my brothers funeral.

Honored Contributor

Many counties have all the real estate information a thief or anyone else would need, right on a public website.

Our county has a drawing of the inside of everyone's house, for all to see.  Obviously it doesn't show furnishings but it shows layout so people would know how to get in easily and back out. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Q4u  I recently sold a three-bedroom, two-bath rental house. Decided to sell it empty and did not have an Open House. Only had it listed MLS and had Realtors bring their loan-approved clients through. It sold in 12 days. We close the end of September. In the meantime, I'm concerned about it sitting vacant for a total of 60 days! Grateful it is in a good neighborhood, on a quiet street and the neighbors (and new homeowners) are watching it. But concerned about students who are now back in the nearby high school and may become aware it is vacant.  

@BirkiLady

Maybe you could buy some of those Mr Beams to put up around the outside of the property so if someone walks up lights will come on. Hopefully they will leave. They are inexpensive & run on batteries. Q just had a TSV not long ago.

Some work if one light comes on they all come on. The set we bought only the light that someone walks near comes on.