Honored Contributor

Re: Deciding which home to break into, based on real estate pics

I'm thinking a couple of Rottweilers or maybe a German Shepherd might help!  I have often wondered what I would do if DH would pass on first.  When he was in the hospital a few years ago..... I couldn't believe how scared I was to be home alone. I have often been surprised that big dogs are usually not listed as a great deterrent to home break-ins.  If I were a robber, I sure would think twice if I saw pictures of the family pet and it looked like a guard dog!.  I'm pretty good at dog training so if hubby goes first....that's probably the first thing I'd do is get a BIG dog!

Respected Contributor

No matter where I lived, I always tell nearby neighbors I would be gone and for how long.  Last home was rural and never had an issue but felt that if ever someone would break in that'd be the house they'd do it.  

Now I'm in a gated over 55 community, houses are very close to each other, most residents are retired and around or outside a lot.  I also live in the back side of the community farther from the gate needed to escape.  All homes can get broken into but I've read burglars say they tend to case areas for ones where they rarely see ppl around bc the times they almost got caught it was bc a neighbor or someone asked if they could help them in some way or stood and watched them.  

A male friend is about 63, retired and lives in a place where their road is segregated from the rest of their community bc of the way the roads were built and nearby homes have single mostly elderly women living alone.  He says he and another male neighbor always walk out and takes pics of suspicious cars and if they are there for an extended time both have been known to go over and ask why they are there and outright tells them they're taking a pic of them and their car/car license plate in case there's an issue.  I'd never confront ppl but both are big guys so I guess they can get away with that. 

Honored Contributor

Wow that's awful!

When we go on vactaion we have a neighbor get our mail rather than stop it by USPS.

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

You never know what dishonest people will do. Years ago the read the obits, to find out when it was safe to rob the bereaved, because they were attending a  funeral and wouldn't be at home

Yes cherry and also they read the wedding announcements----people away on honeymoon----and where they will be residing upon their return.  That is how my parents were robbed.  Unfortunately they found no money---so they overturned cannisters with flour sugar etc. Emptied draws and created quite a mess.