Esteemed Contributor

Re: Deciding which home to break into, based on real estate pics

@Nightowlz  How kind of you to think of Mr. Beams, but this is only a temporary issue. I have lamps with timers in various rooms; the light over the stove stays on all the time (just like in my own home). My lawn service is there each week to make the home appear occupied. I stop and check it a couple times each week.The neighbors are the best Neighborhood Watch; they've been great between tenants over the years. (Just like leaving your own home when on an extended vacation.)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Yikes! My house has been for sale this summer. Good thing the movers took it all this morning. Hoping to be reunited with my things in a week or so.

Regular Contributor

What baffles me are the people who leave their curtains or blinds wide open with the lights on at night and you can see into their homes and go shopping with your eyes for what you would like to take.   but if a stranger is in the neigborhood during the day that seems to get the attention then wonder why my house was broken into without thinking they cased your house the night before......a policeman lives at our home.......just unbelievable what people will do to themselves and then blame a burglar for the home owner stupid mistakes

Honored Contributor

Here locally a small jewelry store was robbed by two men. They got away in a car and drove it through my neighborhood, made their way through some backyards, knocking out fences and part of a house in the attempt to get away fast. Later investigators found out the crooks used a video cam mounted on a drone to scout out their escape route before making their move. What got them caught was a section of link fence that they hit and dragged then somehow made them stop their car...finally to be apprehended. The house that was hit by their car is my neighbor and that car missed hitting her by inches! 

Electronics have become tools for crooks.Woman Tongue

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m always surprised how people advertise when they will be out of town or on vacation. Even the hosts announce they will be gone for a week with the family on vacation. I know their addresses aren’t known but if someone wanted to find where they live they can. Also, I know so many people who post on Facebook that they are away from home and post pictures. I know people on Facebook are suppose to be your “friends” but other people unfortunately are getting access to their account and know when they are away from home and all about their kids etc.    

Esteemed Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

I’m always surprised how people advertise when they will be out of town or on vacation. Even the hosts announce they will be gone for a week with the family on vacation. I know their addresses aren’t known but if someone wanted to find where they live they can. Also, I know so many people who post on Facebook that they are away from home and post pictures. I know people on Facebook are suppose to be your “friends” but other people unfortunately are getting access to their account and know when they are away from home and all about their kids etc.    

@simplyfriends wrote:

I have relatives that post every life event on fb. Getting a new car, going on vaca, a new ring from hubby, going to dr, getting an rx for pain pills cause they hurt themselves, its all there. I didn't see the pain pill one, my dad did and he said he seriously thought about calling this woman, she is his cousin, and telling her to get that off of there, she was inviting trouble.  Its just not a smart this day in age to do this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Q4u  I recently sold a three-bedroom, two-bath rental house. Decided to sell it empty and did not have an Open House. Only had it listed MLS and had Realtors bring their loan-approved clients through. It sold in 12 days. We close the end of September. In the meantime, I'm concerned about it sitting vacant for a total of 60 days! Grateful it is in a good neighborhood, on a quiet street and the neighbors (and new homeowners) are watching it. But concerned about students who are now back in the nearby high school and may become aware it is vacant.  

@BirkiLady

This is why more and more people have alarm systems and/or security cameras.  Even something as basic as a nanny-cam in the main rooms that triggers when there's movement can video a robbery ....  and the owner can call the police while the theft is happening !   Neighbors can't be expected to be home 24/7 to watch other houses.

Honored Contributor

I've always known that thieves watched the funeral announcements and the births as well (weddings were a new one to me), to determine when people won't be home and take a chance to burglarized. 

What I didn't know was that people had someone stay at their home during such events to prevent trouble. Nothing I've ever heard anyone doing in these parts, but such a smart idea. I'll remember that.

And I agree with those who mention how stupid people are with their social media. In addition to posting vacation pictures while they are still gone, I'm amazed at the people who are out for the evening, like at a restaurant or concert in a town about 60 miles from me that is the biggest center to do things like that, and post exactly where they are and at what time, (FB must use the location on your phone to tell what restaurant or venue you are at). Anyone who knows them (and if they make everything like that public....and many do....even those who don't know them) can be in and out of their property before they have the time to drive home. 

Honored Contributor

Thieves are getting more brillantly stupid as the years go along.

glad the neighbors were smart enough to question these 2 men. somehow the neighbors had a good rapore with the people moving to know enough this was to weird and unusual for this to be happening.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a close friend who has a huge, lavish home. She posts photos of it constantly on FB.  She and her DH travel frequently and she always announces on FB when they are leaving on their next trip and when they will return....I am expecting to hear that her home is burglarized before too long. I know theives have been nabbed for break-ins in our area and they confessed to using FB as a way to target houses where owners would be away. Criminals will use anything they can.