Esteemed Contributor

Deciding which home to break into, based on real estate pics

My news just now had a story, about 2 guys in Arkansas, who were theives and decided which house to break into by looking at t he interior pics of homes in the area that were for sale. They were arrested, because of a neighbor who saw a moving truck pull up and this neighbor questioned the two men who were in the truck and then called the police. I imagine this is not the first time this has happened, but I've never heard of anything like this before. Just something to think about.

Honored Contributor

Re: Deciding which home to break into, based on real estate pics

Thank goodness for that neighbor! Years ago, friends of ours in the midwest weren't so lucky. They were young and moved into a nice development a few miles out of town. The neighbors were all busy - waved, but it was one of those neighborhoods where everyone is wrapped up in their own lives. One day a moving van pulled up. The few neighbors who did see it just assumed he was transferred and they were moving. When she got home that evening she pulled in the garage and opened the door to the house, which opened directly into their family room. It was completely empty.

Theirs wasn't the only house that this ring had targeted. I can't remember if they ever got the guys, but they were able to recover some of their possessions. They found some photo albums just tossed in a nearby woods. And I think I remember something special her mom had given her was recovered. But they lost almost everything else.

It's scary - and this was 25 years ago. That's why we have to look out for each other! 

Honored Contributor

You never know what dishonest people will do. Years ago the read the obits, to find out when it was safe to rob the bereaved, because they were attending a  funeral and wouldn't be at home

Honored Contributor

I guess they have to get more and more creative, yes?   SMH

I was just looking out a front window (looking for birdies of course) and saw a scruffy looking guy out in front of my driveway.   I watched him.  He was on his phone and then he walked up the street, fortunately, past one neighbor's house who I know has cameras so that's good - just in case.

The weird thing here is, and it's a two-edged sword as I like the privacy, my street is a small street that, unless you live on this street, you probably won't find yourself on my street.   It doesn't go anywhere and it's all residential (houses).

I still keep looking out there in case I see him again so I can amass more details about his appearance.  My house is always locked up to the hilt but I still get the twinge of not feeling safe (trigger from childhood horrors) when a stranger is walking around out there.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG how awful.  I remember when one of my mother's very close friend retired from her job in NYC and moved down to South Carolina where she brought a house, purchased all new appliances that were delivered then went out shopping again came back and her brand new appliances were gone.  We were shocked that a person which I am sure was more than one could move refrigerator, dishwasher and stove let alone the other smaller appliances so quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherryWe've always had someone from our Church stay at our homes during weddings and funerals for that very reason. Don't know who began it, but I remember both sets of grandparents (in Omaha) doing that in the 1950's. My parents continued to do it during family services in the 1960-80's.

I had people in my home following my husband's sudden death in 2005 to answer the phone and door (reporters were relentless). Those wonderful people were here during the Church service and while I was with my family at various venues so I never had to return to an empty home.

We also had a member of the Church at both my son's home and mine during mom's memorial service last August. My sister and their families did it in Tampa during the three-day celebrations for my niece's wedding in May.

Don't think it's anything new. Thieves have always been around. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, this is nothing new and even easier with the advent of real estate apps, which I've been using since 1 Sept 17!!  We put everything we owned in storage but people around here want it at least semi furnished (toshow) so we hired a professional stager to bring in some furniture and a few accessories. 

I firmly believe that if you plan to show your house, to pack and store everything you own before putting it up for sale.  If you need it to look like a model home to get the interest you need, you'll know soon enough but try to sell it empty first. 

If you look at these listings long enough it can be easily discerned which house has their stuff showing and which used a professional stager.... and I'm sure the thieves can too... Woman Sad

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

We also hire people to house sit when we have a funeral or wedding in the family....

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady- you are so right I remember someone always staying behind if there was a funeral or wedding growing up. I didn't understand as a child but since you posted it all makes sense now.

Honored Contributor

When my first husband was killed and it was all over the news my next door neighbor who was a cop stayed at our house during the funeral.He said he had several very interesting characters stop by uninvited, and of course hurry away as soon as they saw his uniform.