Honored Contributor

Re: Deciding On A Health Insurance Plan

[ Edited ]

Usually my employers offered various types of plans and I decided based on where I lived.  I had Kaiser for years - they were great and offces nearby.

My criteria .... is location.  I don't want to have to travel any distance to doctor or facilty.

Now, I'm on Medicare and have a supplemental plan offered as a retirement benefit by my former employer.  It's through United Healthcare.  I have no complaints about either Medicare or United Healthcare.

Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I grew up on socialized medicine.  The system worked great for me and my family.  Italy's system is just like the system all over Europe, Canada & elsewhere.  The U.S. is the only first world country without any universal health care.  My first exposure to private insurance was when I started to work.   Cost of medicine and health care will never go down.  It will continue to rise and taxpayers will continue to foot the bill for people without insurance.  Nothing ever will be done, I'm convinced.  It surfaces sometimes.  People worry and say that something has to be done.  Then it disappears again till the next time.  Congress has done nothing.  It's like the gun lobby.  Nothing will ever be done.   The current situation will continue.

Hillary Clinton tried, but failed, to change health care many years ago.  You are correct; nothing will ever change for the better in this country because the politicians all get free medical care for life, and they profit from allowing drug companies and doctors/ hospitals to reap huge profits.  Health care in America is broken.

Regular Contributor

A friend from Canada told me that it is not uncommon to wait 6 months for a surgical procedure over there due to a shortage of doctors and way too many patients.  If your life depends on it, obviously that is very bad. 

Honored Contributor

@ann1989 wrote:

A friend from Canada told me that it is not uncommon to wait 6 months for a surgical procedure over there due to a shortage of doctors and way too many patients.  If your life depends on it, obviously that is very bad. 

If you are seriously ill you are taken care of right away.If you want elective surgeries or joint replacements then yes you will wait.

Honored Contributor

I have been satisfied with mine(as much as is possible) and have not changed it for years. Each year I read through many options and I find none better for my wife and myself. 

If I do not choose a different plan, within the same company, I need to do nothing, it automatically keeps our same plan. If there is 1 better for less money, I ain't found it/them.

hckynut

hckynut(john)