Respected Contributor

Re: Decided Today to Rid Myself of Stuff

@agb80 wrote:

You must live in a very upscale neighborhood because in my middle class area people want bargains even if the handbag is like new and used once or twice and in beautiful pristine condition.  I have many such handbags and I don't want to use ebay due to their recent changes that allow them to access your checking account for fees and guaranteed refunds.  I refuse to sell my beautiful bags for $40 a piece at a yard sale because people are cheapskates. 

@agb80 

You may want to take your bags to an upscale resale shop.  You may get more, but the shop takes a cut

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 

Dang! I would have come to your sale! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@SoonerLater wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

You must live in a very upscale neighborhood because in my middle class area people want bargains even if the handbag is like new and used once or twice and in beautiful pristine condition.  I have many such handbags and I don't want to use ebay due to their recent changes that allow them to access your checking account for fees and guaranteed refunds.  I refuse to sell my beautiful bags for $40 a piece at a yard sale because people are cheapskates. 

@agb80 I would think $20 for any handbag is good at a garage sale.  

@SoonerLateryes people are unbelievably cheap. 

@agb80 LOL!!!  Well, there's that . . . but at a lawn, garage or tag sale, it isn't about what something is worth, it is about finding a price where people will buy it.  You will never get what something is worth, and people don't shop those sales except to really score bargains.  

At least where I live.  I feel like I'm sort of paying them to take it because I don't want to deal with it.Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

You do realize any company you submit payment to technically has access to your accounts? For ebay I set up a separate checking account-apart from my main account-and connected that "new" account to PayPal. Which Ebay now has access to and I monitor daily or weekly at the least. And yes I do declare it as well for tax purposes. I think that is also a big issue for people not wanting to do this.

I have sold and do sell some higher end items (including purses I have sold for a lot more than $25) I make much more than a garage sale or even consignment where they take a hefty percentage ( more than ebay).

Making the profits I have made is WELL worth it!! Even taking into account fees, taxes, etc. But everyone does what they are comfortable with.

The junk stuff or items not worth much if anything I throw away or donate & get a tax receipt. It's not worth haggling pennies with people at a yard sale anymore.
Respected Contributor

Over about 2 years, I gave all my expensive bags to one of our employees (the only other woman in our office). She was absolutely thrilled, because she would never buy herself anything that expensive.  I've enjoyed watching her enjoy them!

I'm currently carrying a small baggallini bag with a built in wallet, and absolutely loving it! It holds what I need, is nearly indestructible, and looks nice enough to go anywhere except maybe a formal affair--which is rare for me.

Super Contributor

@vermint wrote:

Over about 2 years, I gave all my expensive bags to one of our employees (the only other woman in our office). She was absolutely thrilled, because she would never buy herself anything that expensive.  I've enjoyed watching her enjoy them!

I'm currently carrying a small baggallini bag with a built in wallet, and absolutely loving it! It holds what I need, is nearly indestructible, and looks nice enough to go anywhere except maybe a formal affair--which is rare for me.

I did the same thing. I had a bunch of Dooney bags that I has bought over the years and I only use a few of them. I wasn't about to deal with the hassle of online selling or garage sales, so I gave some to relatives and young co-workers that can't afford good bags. It felt good to give them a good home. 

Super Contributor

There's a book out now called "Nobody Wants your Old Stuff" funny.
Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach wrote:
There's a book out now called "Nobody Wants your Old Stuff" funny.

@Helen Bach - do you know who wrote it?  I couldn't find it on Amazon. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Doesn't it feel good?  We have a yearly neighborhood garage sale.  What wasn't sold in the garage sell went to a thrift store that benefits animals.  So nice to clear the clutter.

Honored Contributor

I just donate to our local resale shop. I've been slowly getting rid of my designer bags. I only use crossbody bags now so my bigger purses are being donated. I live in a rather low income rural town so giving the chance to the locals to buy a bag for a couple bucks warms my heart. 

"Pure Michigan"