Esteemed Contributor

Their job is to sell.  I guess our job is to decide what to buy, who to believe and then see if we can get a better deal.  I always compare prices with Amazon and or reviews online from anywhere I can find them.  I prefer Amazon because of my Prime Membership.  No shipping charges.  That is big in my decision... shipping.  Zulily has it right and QVC is a partner with Zulily and QVC should figure out that shipping might be the key to some of us buying from THEM vs Amazon. 

I do take issues with some obvious deception.  It is in he field of skin care, cosmetics, wrinkle removal.  Sure it MIGHT WORK..... BUT I FEEL THEY ARE INSULTING OUR INTELLIGENCE WHEN THE HOST OR VENDOR HAS HAD COSMETIC SURGERY and they are pedalling wrinkle free skin. So obvious when they have puffy faces and puffy lips and they are making claims about the product when they have been having or have had cosmetic treatment.  I will not mention any names.  The older vendors ... look at their hands...dead give away and the hosts... no way  they don't even look natural and i would rather have the wrinkles..... Sorry for the rant but in my mind that is DECEPTION.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Houstonoilers wrote:

One time Antonella was presenting a tennis bracelet that apparently didn't have a lot of weight to it.  She pointed out that she felt it might flip back and forth on the arm.  Honestly like that is probably what got her off of QVC.

I think there were a lot of reasons that Antonella got fired. She was wayyy over the top with banter between herself and Shawn. Plus, she was always loud and overzealous. 

Respected Contributor

@Houstonoilers wrote:

One time Antonella was presenting a tennis bracelet that apparently didn't have a lot of weight to it.  She pointed out that she felt it might flip back and forth on the arm.  Honestly like that is probably what got her off of QVC.

I seriously doubt that.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Deceptive tactics

[ Edited ]

For the QVC Angels who think that QVC can do nothing wrong:

QVC, Inc., a TV home shopping channel and one of the world’s largest multimedia retailers, has agreed to pay $7.5 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it made false and unsubstantiated claims about three types of dietary supplements in violation of an FTC order, and about an anti-cellulite skin cream in violation of the FTC Act.

Honored Contributor

There's a fine line. If a sales person does not present all the information a customer needs to know in order to make an informed buying decision, the sales person is harming their own credibility.

If you buy two or three items that Sally Sue said were just the best, and they were lousy, she's going to lose her influence over you. If you ever watch her again, in the back of your mind you'll think, yeah yeah yeah old Sal loves everything and doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm going to shop around and look at lots of reviews and not just take her word on it. But her job is to get you to take her word on it. If you don't trust her to give you enough info, she might as well not be there.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

It's not a lie to say QVC is the only place you can get an item or a deal. Technically you probably can't get that exact item with that brand label on it at that price anywhere else.

That's why when they sell completely outdated and overpriced electronics like phones and computers and Apple stuff, they include little extras like chargers and protective cases that cost almost nothing to include. Then they can say they're selling you a special exclusive deal you can't find anywhere else. They don't mention that it's not actually a good deal.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Deceptive tactics

[ Edited ]

There are things called "puffery" that are allowed in sales presentations .....and then there are deceptive practices:

Like the Dyson Cordless vaccuum where the vendor plugs in a time clock and says a charge runs for 1 hour but fails to mention that's on a low setting (and on hardwood floors)...And also fails to mention that on a high setting the run time is normally 6 to 15 minutes on carpet ....she also failed to disclose how long a charge takes....  What was amusing was that on David's Facebook Page some viewers kept asking about this and after being persistent David finally mentioned the one hour was on the low setting....but then tried to cover up for the vendor by saying that cleaning your carpet shouldnt take that long---the manufacturer said 10-35 minutes on high depending on how dirty the carpet was and reviewers said 10 minutes was the average.....And 10 minutes is not long enough if you have a lot of carpet and stairs to do......So that was a bit disingenuous....Im glad the Facebook fans got the real info put out there...

@RespectLife 

And QVC has been sued in the past ---

March 19, 2009--

QVC, Inc., a TV home shopping channel and one of the world’s largest multimedia retailers, has agreed to pay $7.5 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it made false and unsubstantiated claims about three types of dietary supplements in violation of an FTC order, and about an anti-cellulite skin cream in violation of the FTC Act.

The agency alleged that QVC violated a 2000 FTC order barring it from making deceptive claims for dietary supplements. According to the Commission, QVC aired approximately 200 programs in which false and unsubstantiated claims were made about For Women Only weight-loss pills; Lite Bites weight-loss food bars and shakes; and Bee-Alive Royal Jelly energy supplements. In addition, the complaint charged that QVC violated Section 5 of the FTC Act by making unsubstantiated claims about Lipofactor Cellulite Target Lotion.

And in 2012---

Kirstie Alley was sued over a complaint that Alley's QVC-friendly Organic Liaison weight-loss product didn't really help the star lose 100 pounds, as she has claimed. The plaintiff says she followed the Organic Liaison Weight Loss Program to the letter and "did not experience any of the benefits Defendants advertised." 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Their job is to sell.  I guess our job is to decide what to buy, who to believe and then see if we can get a better deal.  I always compare prices with Amazon and or reviews online from anywhere I can find them.  I prefer Amazon because of my Prime Membership.  No shipping charges.  That is big in my decision... shipping.  Zulily has it right and QVC is a partner with Zulily and QVC should figure out that shipping might be the key to some of us buying from THEM vs Amazon. 

I do take issues with some obvious deception.  It is in he field of skin care, cosmetics, wrinkle removal.  Sure it MIGHT WORK..... BUT I FEEL THEY ARE INSULTING OUR INTELLIGENCE WHEN THE HOST OR VENDOR HAS HAD COSMETIC SURGERY and they are pedalling wrinkle free skin. So obvious when they have puffy faces and puffy lips and they are making claims about the product when they have been having or have had cosmetic treatment.  I will not mention any names.  The older vendors ... look at their hands...dead give away and the hosts... no way  they don't even look natural and i would rather have the wrinkles..... Sorry for the rant but in my mind that is DECEPTION.  

@bonnielu 

You're comparing apples to oranges there.   

You can apply a treatment cream and yes, some wrinkles will be minimized or eliminated ... at least temporarily.  They often do work, with consistency.  Those products are topical treatments.  

However,  NO cream is going to penetrate deep down into sagging facial muscles and lift them to where they were several years ago.  That has to be done with surgery of some sort or other.   

Of course, if someone has a  face lift, it really won't do anything to address the wrinkles problem.   That has to be done on the surface with topical treatments or dermabrasion.   

If a vendor is saying the cream eliminates wrinkles, no one should somehow think it will also lift their skin.  Never going to happen! 

Respected Contributor

I am continually surprised that some people believe that QVC's prices should be lower. (I mean, that would be nice--but unrealistic.) Of course most items are available elsewhere at better prices. 

I am also okay with salespeople using various tactics to sell their merchandise. That is their job!