Honored Contributor

Re: Decades Of Difference---Thoughts To Ponder

[ Edited ]

It is certainly very  different in these times,but every generation has said that, i think i am glad i was born in 1950, some things seem very out of hand to me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

As a mother and a grandmother and a godmother and an aunt, I have had kids in my life for over 40 years.

Times change, but children do not. All the kids I know or have raised run around and play just like I did. There are barefeet, there is mud, there are toys, there are bikes and scooters and skateboards. My grandson and his friends (11 yrs old) play little League baseball and ice hockey and basketball. My god children have been part of Girl Scout camp since they were 8. They go back each Sumner as counselors. My daughter did this too.

They are just like we were, except they worry about being killed by guns in ordinary places. And they have a tiny TV they can watch way after their parents fall asleep (like I did, but I had to get up to change channels)

I only know 1 lazy one in the bunch and he is hardly a child now at 30. He's addicted to gaming and stays up all night and sleeps all day. But that's on his mother.

I dislike generalizations about the younger generation. I always wish for them the fulfillment of their hopes and dreams, because they'll be taking care of me one day.

Respected Contributor

Nothing has changed...

Young people nowadays love luxury; they have bad manners and contempt for  authority. They show disrespect

Honored Contributor

I believe every generation has its ups and downs, its good and bad, obstacles and triumphs.  When we get older we tend to think of our generation as being the best but there were many hidden agendas going on that were not positive , not healthy and corruption existed .  

When my friends and I talk about our young days, we always are thankful for our friendships which we still share after 66 years! Our friends were our world growing up and I do not see that happening as much with the younger generation because of technology.  Being with people face to face, going out and having fun, not being ruled by a phone, these were and are blessings for me  Growing up and not being involved in adult situations for many allowed us to be youngsters and teens , carefree and protected.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

Things were not so idyllic during Grandpa's time if you were African American and living in the south under Jim Crow laws.  People conveniently forget.

As far as young people of today, my grandchildren are active in multiple sports and I have attended more games than I can count so we are accustomed to being around children nowadays.

My oldest grands are teens and we have had the pleasure of watching them and their friends grow and mature.

They are accomplished, bright, articulate, polite, educated, caring, wonderful children.  We know their parents and the work and sacrifices they have made in raising the children.

I have high hopes that generation can pull this country out of the sordid mess that we are in.

I'm pretty sure no one has forgotten anything, conveniently or otherwise. I seem to recall the OP noting her awareness that not everyone had an idyllic life in the 'good old days'.  Nostalgia is a funny thing. Like anything else, it can be viewed so differently through different eyes. Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

As a mother and a grandmother and a godmother and an aunt, I have had kids in my life for over 40 years.

Times change, but children do not. All the kids I know or have raised run around and play just like I did. There are barefeet, there is mud, there are toys, there are bikes and scooters and skateboards. My grandson and his friends (11 yrs old) play little League baseball and ice hockey and basketball. My god children have been part of Girl Scout camp since they were 8. They go back each Sumner as counselors. My daughter did this too.

They are just like we were, except they worry about being killed by guns in ordinary places. And they have a tiny TV they can watch way after their parents fall asleep (like I did, but I had to get up to change channels)

I only know 1 lazy one in the bunch and he is hardly a child now at 30. He's addicted to gaming and stays up all night and sleeps all day. But that's on his mother.

I dislike generalizations about the younger generation. I always wish for them the fulfillment of their hopes and dreams, because they'll be taking care of me one day.

@JamandBread  "Except they worry about being killed by guns in ordinary places" is a pretty major "except."

Honored Contributor

@JamandBread   I don't think anyone said anything about children changing.  But the environment in which we grew up has certainly changed.  In the '50s the biggest threat, as I remember it, was a nuclear attack for which we practiced dunking under our school desks!!  IMO there are a LOT more threats to our lives and security than there were 50-60 years ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday my little grandson sat  near a bunch of clover and pulled one up and said "look! a 4 leaf clover!"

My little granddaughter and I held hands in the community  pool and looked up at the clouds and trees then pretended we were mermaids.

My littlest one sang all the words to baby shark, then put in his cousins names, my name, all with a so proud smile on his face. And though I get to see him in person a lot, I was so thankful to see him do this on facetime!

And all my other family including grandkids that live in a different state I get to see on facetime that I wouldn't be able to see in person for awhile.

The younger generation is alive and well💗 and a lot of them are making the world a better place.💖

I do know the world is very different and a scary world now. I don't agree with the addiction yes to phones, social media instead of engaging in time spent with the one(s) you're with. 

But technology also has enabled us to connect with loved ones, friends we otherwise wouldn't be able to.

There are some great kids out there and young parents, people of many ages doing a lot to make this a safer world. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

Nothing has changed...

Young people nowadays love luxury; they have bad manners and contempt for  authority. They show disrespect

This is so true!

I listened to my mother say "what is this world coming to" and "we are doomed" during the mid to late 60's and early 70's.

She thought my generation was a sad, lost cause.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@JamandBread   I don't think anyone said anything about children changing.  But the environment in which we grew up has certainly changed.  In the '50s the biggest threat, as I remember it, was a nuclear attack for which we practiced dunking under our school desks!!  IMO there are a LOT more threats to our lives and security than there were 50-60 years ago.

My mother and aunt remember bigger threats. Threats to the lives of young women who became pregnant during that time. They also remember rampant segregation and violence toward poc. So no, not much has changed, I guess.