Honored Contributor

Decades Of Difference---Thoughts To Ponder

[ Edited ]
IMPORTANT---Although this article expresses many of my same thoughts and concerns I did not write the article it's from a Blog that a friend shared. It takes a look at today and also a look back. Perhaps todays progress isn't all that it's cracked up to be in view of what's going on in the news and in the world today.  And I also realize not everyone had an idyllic life in the "good old days" either......It's a generalization of things, but still makes some good points.

The Easy Cajun
July 4 at 6:01 AM ·
A young man asked his grandfather, "Grandpa, how did you live in the past without technology . . .
without computers,
without Internet connection,
without TVs,
without air conditioners,
without cars,
no cell phones?"
Grandpa answered:
"As your generation lives today . . .
there are no prayers,
there is no compassion,
there is no respect,
no real education,
there is no personality,
there is no shame at all,
there is no modesty,
there is no honesty.
We, the people born between the years 1940-1980, were the blessed ones. Our lives are a living proof."
* While playing and riding a bike, we have never worn a helmet.
* Before school then we played and again after school until dusk and hardly ever watched television.
* We played with real friends, not virtual friends.
* If we were thirsty, we would drink tap water, or water from the hose, not mineral water.
* We never worried even as we shared the same cup of juice with four friends.
* We never gained weight by eating plates of pasta every day.
* Nothing happened to our feet despite roaming barefoot.
* We never used food supplements to stay healthy.
* We used to make our own toys and play with them.
* Our parents were not rich. They gave love, not stuff.
* We never had a cell phone, DVD, game console, Xbox, video game, PC, internet, chat . . . but we had true friends.
* We visited our friends without being invited and shared and enjoyed the food with them.
Parents lived nearby to take advantage of family time.
* We may have had black and white photos, but you can find colorful memories in these photos.
* We are a unique and the most understanding generation, because we are the last generation that listened to their parents.
And we are also the first ones who were forced to listen to their children.
* We are a limited edition!
Take advantage of us. Learn from us. We are a treasure destined to disappear soon.

•  
  •  
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Decades Of Difference---Thoughts To Ponder

I am fortunate to associate with young people who show me respect.  We pray together  in church, and share compassion for each other's concerns.  I enjoy their company and conversation.  I feel sad for "Grandpa".  

Respected Contributor

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.  

― Aldous Huxley, Collected Essays.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt   You're right about the idyllic childhoods of those born 1940-1980, however, its not over yet and I'm terribly worried about what faces us in the future in this country.  Its looking very gloomy.  Maybe we're not so lucky afterall.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

So glad I was born when I was (1950) although probably sooner would have been even better!!  No way would I want to be a young person these days!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Things were not so idyllic during Grandpa's time if you were African American and living in the south under Jim Crow laws.  People conveniently forget.

As far as young people of today, my grandchildren are active in multiple sports and I have attended more games than I can count so we are accustomed to being around children nowadays.

My oldest grands are teens and we have had the pleasure of watching them and their friends grow and mature.

They are accomplished, bright, articulate, polite, educated, caring, wonderful children.  We know their parents and the work and sacrifices they have made in raising the children.

I have high hopes that generation can pull this country out of the sordid mess that we are in.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:
The Easy Cajun
July 4 at 6:01 AM ·
A young man asked his grandfather, "Grandpa, how did you live in the past without technology . . .
without computers,
without Internet connection,
without TVs,
without air conditioners,
without cars,
no cell phones?"
Grandpa answered:
"As your generation lives today . . .
there are no prayers,
there is no compassion,
there is no respect,
no real education,
there is no personality,
there is no shame at all,
there is no modesty,
there is no honesty.
We, the people born between the years 1940-1980, were the blessed ones. Our lives are a living proof."
* While playing and riding a bike, we have never worn a helmet.
* Before school then we played and again after school until dusk and hardly ever watched television.
* We played with real friends, not virtual friends.
* If we were thirsty, we would drink tap water, or water from the hose, not mineral water.
* We never worried even as we shared the same cup of juice with four friends.
* We never gained weight by eating plates of pasta every day.
* Nothing happened to our feet despite roaming barefoot.
* We never used food supplements to stay healthy.
* We used to make our own toys and play with them.
* Our parents were not rich. They gave love, not stuff.
* We never had a cell phone, DVD, game console, Xbox, video game, PC, internet, chat . . . but we had true friends.
* We visited our friends without being invited and shared and enjoyed the food with them.
Parents lived nearby to take advantage of family time.
* We may have had black and white photos, but you can find colorful memories in these photos.
* We are a unique and the most understanding generation, because we are the last generation that listened to their parents.
And we are also the first ones who were forced to listen to their children.
* We are a limited edition!
Take advantage of us. Learn from us. We are a treasure destined to disappear soon.

•  
  •  

Not everyone:

Didn't have kids to play with

Didn't eat pasta

Didn't go barefoot

Didn't drink with other kids (sick a lot)

Had an air conditioner

Had a tv and watched more then than now

Had a car and went more to town than now because you went to get it or did without. 

Had toys--lots of plastic cowboys and army men and horses and balls and bats and hoola hoops and Water Wiggles, and real metal toy trucks and road graders, yo-yos, bikes and skates and skateboards, Barbie and Ken and Midge, dogs that lived outside and ran and played and chased squirrels, pogo sticks, rubber-band airplanes, 

QVC Customer Care
Super Contributor

@Spurt I loved that!  Was born in1940 and it brought back vivid, fond memories.  Todays children seem to have everything organized for them without imaginative freedom to just be.  Honestly, I don't think those of us who grew up back then thought anything could harm us, but we learned the value of hard work and respect!

Respected Contributor

"Progress" is a relative idea. Technology only improves our lives when it doesn't dominate our lives. I do wish my grands could have a glimpse of how their own parents, grew up without iPads, video games, or Siri to play music for them.

I look back now at my own childhood and it sounds primitive by today's standards, but I wouldn't change it for anything.