Honored Contributor

Re: Death of the Department Store

[ Edited ]

I dont know the situation must vary depending where you live in the country .......  You can drive past the major malls here and they are jammed packed....Same with a gigantic shopping center here....cars parked to the rim.....its that crowded....

Now have some stores "died" ...yes they have but these were the smaller stores whose products can be purchased elsewhere--- 

Here are a few that closed in the malls---Agaci, Wet N Wild, Dress Barn, Destination Maternity, Forever 21, Gymboree. Things Remembered, Brookstone..etc etc.....of course Sears....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Things are changing so rapidly, it's hard to comprehend.  Malls gone?  Impossible.  The only shopping option in my area is Dillard's and I wonder how long they'll last. 

All these changes in our lives and none are for the better.  Doesn't anything good happen anymore?

Since I'm OLD - I grew up in NYC when life was SIMPLE!!!!!! Today, it's one catastrophe after another. We have way too much news. Politicians insulting/lying about the opposing Party --- the media lying and twisting things to make people look bad. Everyone has become selfish and insensitive to others. America has gone DownHill. I went to the malls in southern California for many years - with my mother - who is now gone. Lots of great memories. I even remember when most people had money to spend even when they didn't earn a lot of money. Today - most people are one paycheck away from homelessness. No more middle class -- just rich and poor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to Macys about 2 weeks before Christmas.  No problem finding parking. Mall traffic was like a regular Saturday. I knew then they were in trouble.  20 years ago cash registers were 10 customers deep in lines, you couldnt walk through without bumping into people and the store had a buzz.  Its very sad for those of us who remember when there was an allure to the Dept. store.  

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Things are changing so rapidly, it's hard to comprehend.  Malls gone?  Impossible.  The only shopping option in my area is Dillard's and I wonder how long they'll last. 

All these changes in our lives and none are for the better.  Doesn't anything good happen anymore?

Since I'm OLD - I grew up in NYC when life was SIMPLE!!!!!! Today, it's one catastrophe after another. We have way too much news. Politicians insulting/lying about the opposing Party --- the media lying and twisting things to make people look bad. Everyone has become selfish and insensitive to others. America has gone DownHill. I went to the malls in southern California for many years - with my mother - who is now gone. Lots of great memories. I even remember when most people had money to spend even when they didn't earn a lot of money. Today - most people are one paycheck away from homelessness. No more middle class -- just rich and poor.

@kivah  Middle class makes up the majority of my town and most of the towns I am familiar with. As for media and politicians, none have any politeness or class the way they used to. Sometimes it is quite the embarrassment.

People must move along with the times or we would be traveling on a horse. No vaccinations. 

The way people have always survived is to move with the times.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kivah  Middle class makes up the majority of my town and most of the towns I am familiar with. As for media and politicians, none have any politeness or class the way they used to. Sometimes it is quite the embarrassment.

People must move along with the times or we would be traveling on a horse. No vaccinations. 

The way people have always survived is to move with the times.

i  worry about Kohls. the Manager there has become like a friend and I would be sad if she is laid off.  She is a woman over 50 and its very hard for women of a certain age to find work competing with the millenials.

Honored Contributor

@Reever   Just my feeling but I don’t see Kohl’s as going out of business.

Honored Contributor

@SoX 

The virus may be the straw that breaks the camel’s back but department stores, malls, B&M stores of that nature have been struggling for years.

There was a time I loved shopping at department stores and malls even if I was just window shopping but it has been years since I did that. I put a nail in the coffin. Many of us did. 

While I mostly would not miss stores, what will we do when we need something last minute and don’t have time to order? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like the horse  and buggy, all good things come to an end and  change to fit the needs of people  and what they want.  The virus just brought to an end what was already failing.  B&M stores are going to become less and less , and online ordering and delivery more and more. 

Honored Contributor

It's almost like the virus is scrubbing the planet clear of its past -  so many changes, so many ways life could become so different so quickly.

Honored Contributor

DH and I loved shopping malls.  When we lived in NJ, on some Saturday nights we would go "a-malling" to Paramus Park or Garden State Plaza.  Of course, that was 20+ years ago.  I miss them.  We have North Bridge mall here in downtown Chicago but it is seldom crowded.  Life goes on.

I guess in the not distant future we'll be ordering everything online.  Maybe I'll have to get a smartphone--Ugh!!