Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

The CDC has said that at least 12,000 have died from the flu in 2019 and the numbers could possibly be close to 30,000.

In 2018 the flu sickened 49 million people and killed 80 million people.  There were probably more cases that were not reported.

@Carmie- I don't know where you got that figure.  According to the CDC, the 2018 flu season did sicken around 49 million people, but it killed just over 62 thousand.  (Not even close to one million.)

Anything that killed "80 million" would certainly have made the entire world sit up and take notice.  It would make the Bubonic Plague of the 14th century, that is estimated to have killed 50 million, look like child's play.  And we've advanced medically, exponentially since then.

Respected Contributor

It wasn't until March 8 or so that Italy finally decided to impose a severe travel ban, allowing thousands to continue to travel from Wuhan in order to work in Northern Italy's burgeoning garment industry.

They knew of China's Coronavirus long before that. In fact, Italy declared "Hug a Chinese" day as early as February 1, instead of encouraging the practice of social distancing, which we now know helps to flatten the curve. So now Italy, home to a fragile demographic of elderly who are already sick, is paying the price.

Italy's experience with this pandemic has been very different from that of other countries because of their unique relationship with a population spreading the disease, their failure to acknowledge where this was coming from, and their failure to address it boldly--in favor of a wimpy "we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" non-response.

Even TPTB in Italy are acknowledging that now.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Scapegoating and trying to hijack the thread in a bigoted direction is a bad choice.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Death Toll in Italy

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

While I'm saddened and concerned about the totals, I'm skeptical about info about China.

For some reason I thought China's population was 1 billion.  Wrong...it's 2 billion.   World population is 7.7 billionn (and growing)  It might be more.  We just have China's word.  Or it could be true.  You'd think any one country with a population of 2 billion would have a higher death toll then over a thousand.

Only species that are growing are humans.  Nearly all othr animals species are declining.  

@songbird Which is why what we do or recycle or use matters little.

ETA:  Just looked this up

Within the next 30 years, India and China are expected to be followed by Nigeria with 733 million people, after it pushes the US from third to fourth place with 434 million people, while Pakistan will remain the fifth largest with 404 million.

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady- LOL - I made a similar, critical comment about our own country's (government) response to this impending health crisis and the fact that we will now pay the price for that, and it got deleted for being political.

I don't think our leaders have handled things all that much better.  I love Italy and the Italian people.  My heart goes out to them, whatever the circumstances.

Respected Contributor

Re: Death Toll in Italy

[ Edited ]

LOL Venezia. Facts are facts. If people don't want to discuss facts, they should delete the whole dang thread. Where this virus originated is a fact; scientists know that. Discovering that, and how it's transmitted, are both the first steps in fighting it. 

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

It wasn't until March 8 or so that Italy finally decided to impose a severe travel ban, allowing thousands to continue to travel from Wuhan in order to work in Northern Italy's burgeoning garment industry.

They knew of China's Coronavirus long before that. In fact, Italy declared "Hug a Chinese" day as early as February 1, instead of encouraging the practice of social distancing, which we now know helps to flatten the curve. So now Italy, home to a fragile demographic of elderly who are already sick, is paying the price.

Italy's experience with this pandemic has been very different from that of other countries because of their unique relationship with a population spreading the disease, their failure to acknowledge where this was coming from, and their failure to address it boldly--in favor of a wimpy "we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" non-response.

Even TPTB in Italy are acknowledging that now.

@Moonlady 

What is the source for your remarks?

As mentioned above, I try to check the facts before making any claims.  Who are TPTB in Italy who are speaking about this unique relationship.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

LOL Venezia. Facts are facts. If people don't want to discuss facts, they should delete the whole dang thread. Where this virus originated is a fact; scientists know that. Discovering that, and how it's transmitted, are both the first steps in fighting it. 

I don't object to discussing facts (as long as those facts can be verified).  What I found somewhat amusing was that my comment about our country's handling of this situation was deleted, but a similar criticism of Italy wasn't.

Sources here knew about the Corona virus and its impact in January, but contined to deny it until now.  How is that different from any other country?

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

The CDC has said that at least 12,000 have died from the flu in 2019 and the numbers could possibly be close to 30,000.

In 2018 the flu sickened 49 million people and killed 80 million people.  There were probably more cases that were not reported.

@Carmie- I don't know where you got that figure.  According to the CDC, the 2018 flu season did sicken around 49 million people, but it killed just over 62 thousand.  (Not even close to one million.)

Anything that killed "80 million" would certainly have made the entire world sit up and take notice.  It would make the Bubonic Plague of the 14th century, that is estimated to have killed 50 million, look like child's play.  And we've advanced medically, exponentially since then.

Oops, I meant to say 80,000.

Thanks for catching that error.