Trusted Contributor

Re: Dear QVC & Cheryl Burke: Fighting breast cancer is NOT easy.

@KYToby wrote:

While I sympathize with the OP, I disagree with the premise.  Based on the posting, it would seem if people do not know or experience the horrors of thie tragic disease the same way as the OP, then they should not talk about it, comment on it, or work to fight it.  How they choose to raise money and fight this disease is irrelevant -- the fact that they are doing it is what is important.

while I pesonally have not gone through thte same experience, I saw my grandmother go through it.  She was first diagnosed in the mid '70s at a time when the only thing that could be done was a mastectomy.  30 years later, she had a second mastectomy with the other breast, and she dealt with cancer spreding to her bones and her brain.  She went through the horrible, horrible treatments of chemo and radiation numerous times over the years.  And, despite all this, I know she would have liked this ad on QVC. 

Like other diseases, everyone's cancer is different, and condemning others because they do not have similar feelings or experiences is silly.

Truly, you have misunderstood my post.  Of course a person does not have to experience the disease in order talk about it.  My only point is that is is insensitive to make light of it.  

I'm sorry your grandmother suffered so.  It's hard to see someone you love so sick, I know.

Trusted Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

I am a nurse and worked in women's health for many years.  Any cancer survivor is a warrior to me.  Though, I Have not suffered personally, many of my friends and family suffered from breast cancer and subsequent treatments.  It is not easy and every woman I have taken care of or have known were so strong.  

However, I don't think they are making light of it at all.  After all, Nancy and Carolyn both had breast cancer and so did Jane T's mom.  I think QVC does a great job re to breast and ovarian cancer.   I think the dance steps done by Cheryl Burke are to raise awareness to the FFany event and places emphasis on her feet and the shoes.  The only easiness projected is that it is easy to support the event and women with breast cancer.   

I in no way got the message that QVC thought breast cancer is an easy fight.

but, I am glad you did well and are healthy today 

I'm wondering how Nancy, Carolyn or Jane T. feel about the promo.  Of course, even if they were disheartened by it, they would probably not feel free to say so publicly.  

Thank you for your good wishes.

Trusted Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

CARDINAL GIRL.......have been thinking about you all day today.  Am so darn proud of you.......  You are one special lady in my book. 

Here's hoping and praying that you continue being healthy now and can enjoy your life......Your family and friends all love you and admire your.

I am still battling mine.......and it has been picnic for me either.  Am still in LIMBO waiting for PETscan results of Tuesday.  Will be meeting with my oncologist this coming Tuesday morning to find out what the heck they are going to do next.  This is one long week......waiting is horrible......

This is so funny......just yesterday I was ready to do a shout out to you because haven't seen you posting for a while.....and when I came on here this morning read your letter.......

You take care sweetie......    And, am heart broken about our Cards this year.  As I am sure you are too......

Take care dear one.......

Hello, dear friend!  I rarely post anymore.....I just haven't enjoyed the boards as much since they changed them.

I've been thinking of you and am was so glad to see your post!  Yes, I am disappointed we were knocked out so early this year.  I went to the Saturday playoff game, and just happened to be sitting in the middle of Kyle Schwarber's family (Cubs player).  They were a nice bunch, and we had a lot of good-natured ribbing with each other.

Do you remember me saying that I was invited to Bob Gibson's 80th birthday party?  It's in two weeks......I'm SO EXCITED!

Please let us know about your PET results.  Who is your doctor and what hospital is he with?  I say a prayer for you ever single night. 

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Just today, I met a woman who is starting a new chapter of a group dedicated to raising money for cancer research.  One of her top priorities definitely is to raise money, but a corollary is that the group will have fun doing that.  That doesn't deny the horrors of cancer, the strength of the survivors, etc., but it say a great deal about what it takes to organize people to raise money.

Near the end of that first meeting, this woman met with the president of the group for her tri-county area.  When she told that President she already had 100 members, the president told her, "no, you don't; you don't have their checks and they're not members until you do."

She had to eat her words.  All one hundred potential members had paid by the following morning!  Over $3000 raised in that one night which was serious, but not maudlin - pretty much the way I see QVC's efforts to raise money to fight cancer.  Serious, but not maudlin.  I like that.

You can be sensitive without being "maudlin".

Honored Contributor

@CardinalGirl wrote:

Hello, dear friend!  I rarely post anymore.....I just haven't enjoyed the boards as much since they changed them.

I've been thinking of you and am was so glad to see your post!  Yes, I am disappointed we were knocked out so early this year.  I went to the Saturday playoff game, and just happened to be sitting in the middle of Kyle Schwarber's family (Cubs player).  They were a nice bunch, and we had a lot of good-natured ribbing with each other.

Do you remember me saying that I was invited to Bob Gibson's 80th birthday party?  It's in two weeks......I'm SO EXCITED!

Please let us know about your PET results.  Who is your doctor and what hospital is he with?  I say a prayer for you ever single night. 

Happy Saturday afternoon to you.

Agree......the boards are not near as fun as they used to be.  But, do try to make the best of what we have......

You meet some of the neatest people.......Am sure you made Kyle's family feel welcome to our fair city.......  Have to give it to the Cubs......they played a wonderful year.  Bet you are so excited about going to Bob Gibson's 60th party.    What the heck will you be wearing. 

You asked who my oncologist is......he is Dr. Gu (Chinese), and very high in the ranks of hematology and cancer.  I like him very much and trust him.  Am glad my primary knew him and recommended I go to him.    As my primary is affiliated with St. Anthony's, so is Dr. Gu.......his offices are right there on the grounds.

I drive myself to and from for all chemo treatments.  Glad it is a more or less direct route.  Takes about 15 minutes to get there from where I live.  The only time I don't drive myself anymore is when I need to go for a PETscan or something I'm not sure of what is being done.

Will be glad to hear how the birthday party goes......have fun......

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

No good deed goes unpunished. QVC has done wonderful for breast cancer. Breast cancer gets more attention than all cancers combined.  Pediatriac cancer could use this much money for research.

Boy is that the truth, breast cancer awareness eclipses most cancers. I sure don't see much about lymphoma awareness, which is the cancer I had. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Lymphoma and Blood Cancer Awareness Month is September..My best friend died of Lymphoma in 1996..

Respected Contributor

Cardinal girl- You are a survivor and have been through a great deal. I have relatives that have had breat cancer and I experienced it just through living with them. There is no way that is the same as experiencing it yourself. When I saw the promo, I did not think they were talking about easy steps cancer patients cound go through to heal. I took it as simple steps to raise money for breast cancer research. It could be I took it that way because I do not have cancer. I really want to thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me understand a little more what my relative is going through. Carolyn's story also helped me. I will continue to think about you and hope that your health continues to improve. People like you are my super heros.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

Cardinal girl, you have been, and still are, a warrior.  Yes, I do get what your point is.  NO CANCER fight is easy!!!!!  Anyone diagnosed has to do battle with the disease and some insurance companies too.  It is horrific.  Fortunately, the media as a number of celebrities have championed the cause (much like the days of Liz Taylor with AIDS).  However, there are so many cancers, equally devastating and debilitating, that don't have a voice.  For me, pediatric cancers are the worst.  No child nor their parents should have to deal with this nightmare.  Yet, rarely is pediatric cancer discussed.  Honestly, I don't think QVC thought this year's campaign was easy.  I think the marketing people tried to tie in dancing with Cheryl Burke.  And, perhaps, they were not aware that "easy"  might not be the best description.  Regardless, the money raised by QVC is a generous way to help this cause.

Valued Contributor

Showme:

I'm sorry for all you're going through, it's a hard battle that none of us should have to fight against. I pray you get good results from your PET. 

I too am following Dan's posts about his wife, I cry and I pray for Beth and everyone else battling cancer, I cry and I pray every single day because I know the struggle and the pain.

Praying for a cure...

Maria