Occasional Contributor

Re: Dear QVC--a suggestion for overnight hours

Good suggestion. This definitely makes more sense than re-running the TSV for hours! In fact, this current trial that QVC is doing is so strange to me that it makes me wonder who's in charge there. I would imagine this should be a little embarrassing for them even??

I'm sad to see what's happening to QVC, as it's been part of my life since 2001 when I found the channel in the middle of the night when I was up with my newborn. 

I will say this again to QVC, your S&H is part of your problem.  The consumer has become accustomed to free shipping and handling or at least bundled. To have to pay $21 to ship multiple orders of socks for example is crazy. They're socks! When I see my total shipping charges, I often just cancel my order and look for the item elsewhere when possible.  Plus the shipping is extremely slow and I live in Illinois. The free exchange program is also terrible. The whole process is weeks long and the risk is high for what you wanted being sold out.

Unfortunately, QVC doesn't seem to be willing or able to rectify these issues as I've seen posts like mine for YEARS but nothing changes.

I'm going to be sad when QVC goes off the air and it might not be too long.

Honored Contributor

I agree....it makes absolutely no sense to run the same program for 5 hours straight, when they clearly have many pre-recorded tapes available to them.  They often use pre-recorded tapes on QVC2.  Why not during those dead hours they are now inflicting on their customers.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your suggestion makes so much sense! I'm an early riser who gets up at 4:30 a.m. on weekdays for work. Heck, even on the weekends I'm usually up between 5 and 6! I think the decision to show repeated re-runs of the same show is a huge miss. Not sure why anyone thought that would be a good idea! 

Respected Contributor

Good suggestion Marguarite- Except for them , I would bet, doing it with your suggestion may actually require a person and some thought and planning, hence $ ....

The way they are doing requires no person through the night- and no $.  I would bet, it’s all about cost and saving $$$. 

Super Contributor

I agree @CharboPiplou .  Shipping charges are crazy and they definitely prevent me from making some orders.  I have things sitting on my wishlist for the next free shipping day but then I usually run out of energy for those items.   If QVC is relying on impulse buying then shipping charges stop me many many times.

At a minimum QVC should allow for free shipping over a certain value.  Most companies who don't offer free shipping will at least do free shipping over $50 or over $75.  Even that would be an improvement.

Honored Contributor

@srgtdjIf, as you say, QVC is good at collecting data, maybe their decision to show repeats is actually based on their big data. If the goal of this change is to save $$$, your idea which does sound appealing might not work.  I'm thinking producing a whole show for later would still cost the same as a live show or save so little it wouldn't help enough. 

In this house, they won't see any difference.  I can't buy less overnight than I do now!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sashamatthews wrote:

What I don't understand is why they do not have a "live" show at 6 a.m.  Even our local news stations start at 4 a.m.  People are up!  

@sashamatthews 

That was one of my thoughts, also.  

I agree with those that say if there must be reruns, why the same show for hours?  

Also, let's not forget those viewers/customers that live in the far western time zones--it's not the middle of the night for them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Rick is hosting the Keurig TSV tonight.

After the first hour they won't need to go into reruns.  Rick could keep going on caffeine until 7 am.

Regular Contributor

@srgtdj wrote:

I always heard that QVC does a great job of collecting data--sales, profit margins, audience,etc.  If that's true then this decision to re-run the TSV show over and over for 6 hours makes no sense.

If you know your customers then you should know who the overnight customers tend to be...new mothers?  elderly consumers?  insomniacs?  people who work odd hours and overnight is their awake time?

Why not program pre-recorded shows to be of interest to the folks who tend to be awake and shopping overnight.  Or maybe set a schedule..it's 1 hour beauty, 1 our cooking, 1 hour home decor, 1 hour fashion, etc

It seems that there are SO many better options beyond 6 hours of the exact same show airing again and again.

I'm the 60 yr old insomniac.  I have watched and shopped overnight,  In fact, I am likley to buy more overnight because my resistence to the sales pitch is lower.  But you are losing me for those hours with nothing but repeats.

Is Q replaying the same hour over and over again?

My thought is Q may lose some customers permanently in that for some of us, tuning to Q is just a habit. During this experiment, Q may lose some of those people just watching, thus buying, out of habit. I think I read it takes about 6 weeks to break a habit?

Up early for work. I have always enjoyed the 4AM and 5AM live programs while getting ready. Some of my best buys are at 5AM. Consider adding back part of the live programs especially during this time period. I prefer them all live!