Honored Contributor

Re: Dead Mouse In Bathroom

[ Edited ]

@1Snickers wrote:

@NickNack   I asked my veterinarian if the poison traps could hurt dogs. He said if they eat them or the mice that gets them. 
  In the winter they have come in the garage. I found a plastic trap that closes and keeps them inside, quick kill & no poison. 

@1Snickers   The traps are in the very back of my cabinets where my dog and cat can't get.  I asked the pest control man about my pets eating the dead mice.  He said that the poison that they use is a human drug (I think it was an anticoagulant).  He said the little bit that the mouse can get wouldn't hurt my cat or dog.  He said that isn't what all poison is, but it's what they use.  I don't think either one of my pets would eat a dead mouse (or a live oneI) anyway, but I did worry about that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Our cat Venus, is as Lewis Carroll would say... a "Capital Mouser" 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Please don't use poison to get rid of mice!

If a mouse eats the poison, then another animal eats that mouse, ( cat, owl, etc), then they too ingest the poison.

You could be inadvertently be killing another innocent animal with the poison.

@Anonymous032819   Please see my reply to @1Snickers .  They use anticoagulants as poison.  The tiny amount a mouse would eat would not harm a dog or cat.  I don't think my pets would eat a mouse anyway, but it did concern me.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@hellodali wrote:

I didn't read every response so this may have already been suggested.  However, in the meantime before the exterminator gets to your home, plug the holes with steel wool.  You can usually purchase large bags pretty inexpensively at Home Depot, etc. If you can't get out, use Brillo pads. 

@hellodali   Thank you.  Yes, I read that online last night.  I had some steel wool pads and plugged one into the hole and taped it with packing tape.  There was another smaller hole below it that I did the same.  The tape and steel wool are still intact this morning, thank goodness.  I'm calling the handyman to do a professional job Monday morning.  Hopefully he can come soon!

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Guh! Mouse! Shudder.  BeGONE mouse. NOT in my house.  Hope it was a lone mouse. Brave you @NickNack , I'd be using a broom with a yardstick attatched to get that litle thing into the paper bag!

Wow,  Has Henry been shown up or what!  C'mon cat, not only has the Dog done your traditional job BUT SHe's a FRENCHIE!  When were there ever Packs of wild Frenchies roaming the tundra?  Hang your Head Cat.

Glad you swept up that critter quickly.  The thing is,  if it ate the poison, the poison is in the mouse and the mouse is in the pets/ wild scavangers mouth. Please don't bury a mouse that has died of poison where some other animal could eat it as a ready meal and be poisoned too.

I don't like poison as there's always the chance of an uninteneded animal being affected.  I detest Glue traps.  Snap traps are quick. 

Honored Contributor

(I'm teasing, but) how do you do with snakes?  They like mice and they'd probably keep them away. LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Dead Mouse In Bathroom

[ Edited ]

While I understand the concern for animals, I don't understand why so many think it's so wrong to kill animals who have invaded your property and are potentially harmful to you! After, my grandfather died, my grandmother lived alone. Her house became overrun with mice! At first there was one or two which my dad would set traps for. Yes, the traps would kill them. Grandmom fell and was in the hospital for two weeks. Dad went there everyday to bring in the mail,check on the house. No sign of the mice. At the end of the second week, there was an order. Upon investigation, there were mice droppings and urine on all the upholstered furniture. It was in all the cabinets and just about everywhere you couldn't see. I know I'm in the minority here but I would rather kill them, than have them living in the house with me. Dh keeps a trap set with peanut butter at all times in our garage because that's usually how they get into our house. In the 36 years we've lived here he catches one every once in a while. I asked him once about catching them, without harming them and letting them go and he said they'd just come back inside. They are small field mice. Most all houses will sometimes get them. From October to February they come in looking for food, warmth and shelter. I'm glad dh takes care of it. As long as I don't have too do it, I'm happy!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@1Snickers wrote:

@NickNack   I asked my veterinarian if the poison traps could hurt dogs. He said if they eat them or the mice that gets them. 
  In the winter they have come in the garage. I found a plastic trap that closes and keeps them inside, quick kill & no poison. 

@1Snickers   The traps are in the very back of my cabinets where my dog and cat can't get.  I asked the pest control man about my pets eating the dead mice.  He said that the poison that they use is a human drug (I think it was an anticoagulant).  He said the little bit that the mouse can get wouldn't hurt my cat or dog.  He said that isn't what all poison is, but it's what they use.  I don't think either one of my pets would eat a dead mouse (or a live oneI) anyway, but I did worry about that.

The pest control man has a financial incentive to tell you what you want to hear.

This article in Audobon tells another story. 

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/january-february-2013/poisons-used-kill-rodents-have-safer

Super Contributor

I don't have a mouse story, but in the same "icky and gross" theme, evidently a fly layed some eggs in a crack in the concrete in our garage.  Suddenly we had hundred of maggots crawling all over our garage.  Needless to say, the garage had a long overdue, much needed thorough cleaning!  (I still can't figure out why a fly would lay eggs there...no food source for the "babies".)

Man plans. God laughs.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I too am a huge animal lover but I am not against killing mice that invade my home. They are dirty and full of disease that can make people sick.  Remember when Hantavirus was in the news some time back?  People--though rare---can get very sick & die from virus spread from particles left by mice droppings.