Honored Contributor

Just can't wait!  I love DST and wish it was permanent!

Honored Contributor

Spring forward ... Fall back.

The only good thing is that in Spring you only have to turn watches and clocks forward one hour.  

In Fall, sometimes you can go back one hour .... but often it's forward 23 hours!  More of a nuisance for clocks in the cars, IMO.

Honored Contributor

i prefer standard time year round and hate changing the clocks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I was at a meeting last night and everyone was saying there hadn't been any notices on Facebook and other places like you normally see.  I wish our state would pick one time and stick with it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I would love it if DST were the final decision. More time to do yard work, gardening, and walking, all of which put me in my happy place! I am a night owl, and this works best for my mood and lifestyle.

I don't like the constant spring forward.......fall backwards nonsense. Pick one and stick with it please!

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

When I worked years on Graveyard Shift, DST effected me both ways. My Sunday night going to work was my Monday. My Thursday night going to work was my Friday.

My 8 hour shift turning into 9 hours, but I only got paid for 8 only hours. My 8 hour shift turning into a 7 hour shift? I got paid for 7 hours, not 8. The Day Shift came in and took over.

They did not allow me to work another hour because my job was filled by the Day Shift operator. And if the let me work it would(clock wise)be a 9 hour shift, and anything over 8 hours is time and a half pay.

1 hour more work and an unpaid hour. Then when we worked 1 hour less we did not get paid for 8 hours of work. So in that 12 months I worked 2 hours for free.

Now since I am retired? One BIG Pain in the A**, and I see not 1 single benefit. My days are 24 hours long no matter what any clock time(digital or analog)shows me.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Contributor

From Wikipedia:

It is a common myth in the United States that DST was first implemented for the benefit of farmers. In reality, farmers have been one of the strongest lobbying groups against DST since it was first implemented. The factors that influence farming schedules, such as morning dew and dairy cattle's readiness to be milked, are ultimately dictated by the sun, so the time change introduces unnecessary challenges.

DST was first implemented in the US with the Standard Time Act of 1918, a wartime measure for seven months during World War I in the interest of adding more daylight hours to conserve energy resources. Year-round DST, or "War Time", was implemented again during World War II. After the war, local jurisdictions were free to choose if and when to observe DST until the Uniform Time Act which standardized DST in 1966.

Respected Contributor

@Illinoisborn wrote:

From Wikipedia:

It is a common myth in the United States that DST was first implemented for the benefit of farmers. In reality, farmers have been one of the strongest lobbying groups against DST since it was first implemented. The factors that influence farming schedules, such as morning dew and dairy cattle's readiness to be milked, are ultimately dictated by the sun, so the time change introduces unnecessary challenges.

DST was first implemented in the US with the Standard Time Act of 1918, a wartime measure for seven months during World War I in the interest of adding more daylight hours to conserve energy resources. Year-round DST, or "War Time", was implemented again during World War II. After the war, local jurisdictions were free to choose if and when to observe DST until the Uniform Time Act which standardized DST in 1966.

Yes you are correct.  I just read the same info this morning.  It had nothing to do with farmers.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know anyone who likes DST. I live in Texas and thought I had heard they were ending it. Guess not.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

I prefer DST. Looking forward to it.