Esteemed Contributor

Re: Daughter's move to NJ/NY area - comments welcomed

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 and @proudlyfromNJ  ... yes, Camden is the worst .. followed by Newark.  But there is also a lot of crime in Jersey City and Hoboken.  

Regular Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Jaspersmom  For the first time in 54 years after reading your post I felt the pang of homesickness.  Raised in Queens, NY, summer home on Long Island, looked across the Long Island Sound at the Jersey Shore, visited the Hamptons many times along with Montauk Point.  Had family in New Jersey, visited often.  Spent many days and hours in NY City.  Left NY in 1965 for CA now living in Arizona.  As I said, your post really reminded me of another part of my life.  Heart

I live on Long Island and when I look across the Sound (North Shore) I see Connecticut not the Jersey Shore.  You have to look across the Great South Bay and Atlantic Ocean (South Shore) to "see" the Jersey Shore and if you saw it your eyes are better than God's and He sees everything.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We could see LI from our family home growing up on the northern Jersey shore. Of course my Dad had his telescope and that was how we saw LI. We could also see Staten Island,Verrazano bridge, Brooklyn and buildings in Manhattan. Of course all we could see of LI was the south shore.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@haddon9 and @proudlyfromNJ  ... yes, Camden is the worst .. followed by Newark.  But there is also a lot of crime in Jersey City and Hoboken.  

@Boehm Collector  I know what you mean but I go to restaurants etc. in Hoboken. I wouldn’t step foot in Camden.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Boehm Collector  I know what you mean but I go to restaurants etc. in Hoboken. I wouldn’t step foot in Camden.

@proudlyfromNJ  .. I totally agree!!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We could see LI from our family home growing up on the northern Jersey shore. Of course my Dad had his telescope and that was how we saw LI. We could also see Staten Island,Verrazano bridge, Brooklyn and buildings in Manhattan. Of course all we could see of LI was the south shore.

From where I live in NJ, on a very clear day I can see the Verrazzano and the new 1 WTC building. 

Honored Contributor

wonderful news of your daughter moving west to east coast.

i think weather is the biggest change. 

i have lived on west coast for  years and midwest for years and east coast for years.

weather was the biggest change for me.

the others were 1. people seem more impatient on east coast than west coast. 2. cost of living is about same especially up north new jersey. (my husband is from northern NJ) 3. gas prices are lower on east coast than west coast.  

these are just my observation there are many more pros and cons on west-east change of living status.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddles wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Jaspersmom  For the first time in 54 years after reading your post I felt the pang of homesickness.  Raised in Queens, NY, summer home on Long Island, looked across the Long Island Sound at the Jersey Shore, visited the Hamptons many times along with Montauk Point.  Had family in New Jersey, visited often.  Spent many days and hours in NY City.  Left NY in 1965 for CA now living in Arizona.  As I said, your post really reminded me of another part of my life.  Heart

I live on Long Island and when I look across the Sound (North Shore) I see Connecticut not the Jersey Shore.  You have to look across the Great South Bay and Atlantic Ocean (South Shore) to "see" the Jersey Shore and if you saw it your eyes are better than God's and He sees everything.Woman Happy

@cuddles    Oh, I am so embarrassed...I meant to write Connecticut and NJ was on my mind after reading it again and again.  Woman Embarassed

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

From where I live in NJ, on a very clear day I can see the Verrazzano and the new 1 WTC building. 

@CelticCrafter  Are you in Monmouth County?

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ I'm right on the border of Middlesex and Monmouth near the Keyport area.